Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

NCL Dream sailing the Baltic engine problems

Jun 1st, 2004, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

I just learned last night on Cruise Critic that the Dream is experiencing engine problems. One of the four engines isn't working. They have adjusted their ininerary as a result omitting Tallinn, Estonia. It seems that a repair of this kind cannot be fixed until she is in dry dock in Miami later this fall after her transatlantic trip from Dover to Miami. I'm sailing on the Dream on August 5th. It doesn't appear dangerous by any means but I still plan to make the most of the trip. I'm just surprised that I had to find out on Cruise Critic and not directly from NCL.

Anyone else sailing her this summer?
Jun 28th, 2004, 02:30 PM

Too bad that your post went unanswered. By now you've probably given up. However, just in case you wander back here, IMO you are mssing one of the great ports in Baltic. I fell in love with Tallin. people are less depressed (in mood, not economically) than St. Pertersburg. I think Russians will take a long time to learn how to live as capitalists. Estonians only have to go to last generation. They have hope.

Sooo... you'll want to go back.

I too sailed Norwegian line. Absolutely no complaints. Stuff happens, right? Unless you really think ship was poorly maintained?

Actually I try for Celebrity, but my first consideration after safety etc. is itinary. Only line that I will never travel with again is HAL (and any other lines that have HAL's new gratuities policy.)

I do agree that you should know before you travel just what the changes are. What if you were going back especially to extend knowledge of Tallin? Or planned to meet up with others there/ I've known other cruisers who do just that. I would contact NCL righyt away and get firm answers to any concerns.
Jun 28th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for replying. Yes, I've learned a great deal since the first.

We are going to miss Tallinn, which is really a shame, but I'm not going to let it ruin the trip.

This is the first time for us on NCL, we're used to Celebrity, but are guests on this sailing with Mother-in-Law.

Maybe it's a good thing, we told her last night about Tallinn and she thought it was called Taliban. So it's probably for the best....#-o
Jun 28th, 2004, 05:15 PM
esd

Anyone who reads the above knows you are in for a good time and a fun trip.

I applaud everyone who sees humor in lifes little disappointments or set-backs. You help to set a good tone for this site!!
Jun 28th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Why thank you very much ESD, that was very kind.

I've had my moments though.....

I do try NEVER to leave home without it, my sense of humor that is. That's something you can never overpack!

Happy travels!
Jun 30th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Update...

Talked to TA today, our documents came in and we're good to go to Tallinn afterall. Evidentally, the 7/12 itinerary will not be going but the 8/5 sailing is good to go.

Who knows, the information changes from week to week. I just want to get on the ship!!

Happy Travels!
Jul 1st, 2004, 08:01 AM
esd

Good! Things usually have a way of working out.

Our next cruise is the Galaxy out of Galveston in November. We booked this in January. Now we are booked on the Opera (transatlantic) in April. I told my husband recently that given the fact we are in our sixties we are going to have to stop this long-range booking and start looking into 'last minute specials' as we will have a much better chance of being 'alive and well' when the ship sails! He barely chuckled...no sense of humor!!

Have a wonderful time on your trip!!