First Time Cruiser -Carnival Valor

Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

First Time Cruiser -Carnival Valor

I've just signed up to go with my aunt & cousins next June on a Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Valor. I just searched here & there's no info.

This is my first cruise - I've been to Europe many many times & all over the US but mostly independently.

Has anyone here been on the Valor or seen it?? It is HUGE??
Thanks for any info,
Cobbie
Aug 4th, 2005, 07:50 AM

Cobbie:

I haven't been on the Valor, but I've sailed its sister-ship the Conquest. Yes, it's huge--110,000 tons displacement. It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but you'll get the hang of getting around on it after a day or two.

Happy cruising!
Aug 5th, 2005, 10:40 AM

go to cruisecritic.com This site has all the info you'll need, also a message board. But, just get a carnival catalogue from ANY travel agency. They're free and will give you info on the ship and ports!
Aug 6th, 2005, 07:40 AM

Try posting at: www.cruisecrazies.com. Its pretty active there.
Aug 6th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Aug 8th, 2005, 12:01 PM

I was recently on Valor's sister ship, the Glory.

If you have specific questions, let me know.

The ship felt very crowded and the pool area was stadium seating so was always congested.

There were lines that were quite long at the buffets; sea days were a hassle.

There is no adult pool so there were issues with diapers in the smaller pool.

I did not care for the ship.

Aug 8th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Kfusto: Not sure what you mean inre to the pools. The boat has three pools so it seems there was an issue with one of them? Is that it?
Aug 9th, 2005, 11:25 PM

I sailed on Carnival Valor last December and have a ship review and photos here... http://cruisediva.com/carnival_valor_1.htm

It is a huge ship, but there are plenty of areas that typically aren't crowded. I had no problem finding a quiet spot to read. Lines tend to form on large ships, but I didn't find them to be bad. The trick is to avoid the busiest times at the buffet restaurant.

The issue with parents taking babies and toddlers in swimming pools is one that pops up with regularity in regard to most cruise lines that cater to families. There's nothing more disgusting than a leaky diaper in a pool and the cruise lines post warnings that diapers aren't allowed. Unfortunately, many parents feel that the rule doesn't apply to them.
Aug 11th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Cruisediva: I think you put it all in perspective. Well said. Thank you.
Aug 12th, 2005, 12:05 PM

jacketwatch: There was the main pool and the Azur pool. The main pool was stadium seating and was always packed. Azur pool less so and both had signs posted that said no diapers. But, on this cruise, there were a lot of kids in diapers in both of these pools. I find this very unsanitary and so did not use the pools except first thing in morning before the rest of the folks were in there.

I normally sail on ships with adult pools and adult areas and I really missed this.

The density on this ship was overwhelming to me. I have heard Spirit class does not the crowd problems that Conquest class does. For me, I really felt uncomfortable with the constantly crowded feeling on this ship. In all of my cruises, I have never experienced anything like it.

Just my personal experience.
Aug 12th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Kfusto: Thanks for your comments. We will be a a larger ship soon, the Sapphire Princess and we'll see how that suits us. Cheers, Larry.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments. As this was to be my first cruise and I really wasn't interested in any of the ports I backed out. I know I'd enjoy the eastern or southern Carib. more and a smaller ship.
Cobbie