We are booking it! Splendour of the Seas

Jun 28th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

We are booking it! Splendour of the Seas

My sister finally decided what she wanted to do for her 50th Birthday.

My older sister, middle sister and I along with my brother in laws sister will all be going on a cruise on Splendour of the Seas in May 2005.

My questions are: has anyone been on this cruise? Did you take any land tours? If we go to Paris a few days before, what is the best airline to use out of Paris to Barcelona?

Thanks for the help once again.
Jun 28th, 2004, 07:43 PM

Congratulations, Sunshine! Sounds like a fabulous family trip.
You might try Easyjet @ Easyjet.com. Right now, they're only showing flights through Sept. or Oct. of 2004, so you'll probably have to wait to inquire, but they fly from Paris orly to Barcelona for 21 euros to 35 euros per person. We used them last September to fly from Milan to Paris and got a great deal, booked about 2 months in advance. Hope this helps.
Joyce
Jun 28th, 2004, 10:41 PM

Congratulations Sunshine! I have been on this ship in 2001. Although I had a good time, I feel there may be better options. This ship has a lot of passengers, is not all inclusive and doesn't go to some of the smaller ports as Windstar, Radisson or Seabourn ships. Did you consider these lines? I do understand that every one has their preferences but since it sounds like you're not too familiar with cruiseships, I just want you to consider all the good choices out there. When I was new to cruising, I did not. Bottom line, I think a cruise (any cruise) is a good choice for what you're interested in. Wishing you blue skies, calm seas and a fabulous vacation.
Jun 30th, 2004, 07:50 AM

We just returned from this cruise (June 12th sailing) We did Paris at the end and flew from Barcelona to Paris via EasyJet with no problems at all. Air France and Iberia have flights also, but they are more expensive.

We had 3 kids on the tour so could not justify the per person costs for the ship excursions. They seemed quite overpriced.

The service in the main dining room was overbearing though maybe all cruises are this way since they are clamoring for tips. The waitors were basically sitting over your shoulder as you ate.

We ate mostly in the Windjammer. There was plenty of food and some of it was good. There main entree was invariably tough, grisly and fatty, luckily they served limited and small portions of this entree so not eating it didn't seem wasteful. There were plenty of alternatives to the entree. Salads, fruits, desserts, and other items were fine.

You will be best planning day trips on your own. There will be transportation options when you leave the ship. What we did was:

1. Marseille - RCL provided a shuttle bus to Quai du Port where there are tourist trains and you can walk around the city. There are also ferries and boat trips available

2. Nice - Docks in Ille de France - Easy to walk to Local Bus Stop and take a bus to either Nice or Monaco.

3. Livorno - RCL Shuttle to Piazza Grande, local bus can take you to train station which provides good service to Pisa, Florence, Lucca etc.

4. Rome Port - Taxis are readily available (10 euro) to take you to the train station and it is an hour trip to Rome Termini. Take the metro to Colloseum or Vatican area.

5. Naples - Taxis were cheap to either Pompeii or for tours of the town. There are also trains to Pompeii but the taxis were quicker I think.

A cruise limits your time in an area, but if you get an early start you will get a good taste of an area.
Jun 30th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

As always I knew that I can find some good ideas. We usually search deeply where ever we go. Thanks for the idea on easyjet. I am going to go and check them out.
As for looking at other cruise lines that go we really wanted a 7 day cruise versus one that is longer. We have searched Princess, Celebrity and others.
I also read that most people like the late seating. What do you prefer?
My sister never has been to Europe so we figure this would be the best way for her to see it. My older sister and I have been to Paris and London so I want to get a flavoring of Italy this time. I think for my 50th I want to do a cruise out of Italy and into Greece. But I got a few years till I get there.

Thanks again for all your answers.
Kari
Jul 1st, 2004, 06:38 AM

We had kids so the early seating was our choice though we only use it once with the service issues. The shows were during the late dinner seating (though there were other activities later at night). Our focus was on sight seeing and we wanted to be up early to get the most of the day. We found ourselves hungry after returning to the ship so eating at 6:30-7 was our choice. This allowed seeing the shows that were during the late seating meals and other activities and still retire to get enough rest for the next day. There are late night activities but they are focused on bar and lounge activities.
Jul 1st, 2004, 10:23 AM

My husband and I were on the Splendour 2 years ago and loved it! We flew to Barcelona and stayed there for three days. I highly recommend that because Barcelona is a beautiful city and fun, but also you have a chance to recover from jetlag. We also had the late seating and it was no problem with the shows. There are always two shows to accomodate dinner times. The late seating is better because it gives you some time when you get back on the ship to relax. Have a great time. The Splendour was top knotch with excellent service and food.