Reload this Page >

Last Minute Shopping

Search

Last Minute Shopping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Syl

Last Minute Shopping

What are my chances of getting a cheaper rate on a cruise out of Miami by booking within a week of sailing? Has anyone experienced this type of booking? Please advise.<BR>First time cruiser.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 10:09 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Syl,<BR><BR>The best rate is the early booking rate. Plus you get your choice of cabin. The price escalates up until a week or two after the agencies release their held cabins (2 months before the sail date). If those released cabins do not sell and the ship is not filling the rate will reduce (not below the early booking price). If the ship is full the price will not reduce but will continue to escalate. It is the luck of the draw to get a reduced price but you can try. Pray that you do not get a cabin under the disco or galley. What does reduce for late bookings is cruise-line air.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Patty

Syl,<BR>Contrary to what Paul says, last minute discounting does fall below (and sometimes far below) the early booking rate. It's just not in a TA's best interest to tell you that. I was able to book a Hawaii cruise within 2 weeks of sailing for $300pp earlier this year. When are you thinking of sailing? Prices for 7 day cruises out of Florida are so low right now (from $400pp on most of the major lines) thru mid-December that you don't really have to wait until the very last minute.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Starfish

Agree with Patty. Early booking does not always get you the best deal. If you book a year ahead of time with the early savings , the cruise prices ALWAYS GO DOWN lower than the early savings price. <BR>The last minute deals are the best many times.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Starfish

Forgot to add this. <BR>You cannot always choose your cabin. Lots of last minutes deals are ROS or guarantee. <BR><BR>Booking ahead of time does get you the cabin of your choice.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Merriem

I find a guarantee usually gets you a better cabin than paying more and picking the one you want.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Paul Therault

Sorry, I follow prices from up to a year in advance and up to the last minute and the early booking prices are the best, especially if a travel agent is holding group space.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Starfish

Paul, maybe it depends on the cruise line. I follow Hal's prices. Here is an example. 10 day spring Caribbean cruises, Early Savings 3400 for a Cat S. For the last couple of weeks these same sailings are 2800 for a cat S. <BR>BIG difference !!! <BR>A TA could probably get about 200 off the 3400, but could also get some $ off the 2800.