Cruise Ship Art

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 05:57 PM
sally

Cruise Ship Art

Can anyone tell me the name of the auction company that sells art on cruise ships? Any information would be appreciated.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:45 PM
robert

parkwest i believe in chiago

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:27 PM
Patty

Depends on the cruise line. Park West and a few other galleries contract with several of the cruise lines. Princess has their own in house art auction company.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:33 PM
sorryI think

Cruise ship art??? Isn't that an oxymoron??

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Anartist

As an artist I'm appauled at the so called art auctions that I've seen on these ships. The low grade copies and prints are hyped by the auctioneer as he tells you all about the artist in terms the average person would not understand, then suckers people into paying FAR too much for this trash. Most of what gets sold is bought by the lines for a few dollars a print. If you want real quality artwork visit your local art dealer, art school, college, etc. This practice should be banned, but as long as they can find a sucker...it will go on.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:23 AM
gail

Who buys cruise ship art? Someone must or else they would not keep selling it. Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has bought it - just the thought of having to haul it home would be enough to turn me off to the idea, even if it were great art cheap. (Or do they ship it to you?)

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:23 PM
artlover

Please Anartist!

Do you consider an Itzchak Tarkay Serigraph to be a " low grade copy" I have had all of my works appraised at considerably more than I paid for them.

One piece has tripled in price, and mine was framed.

I think you will have a hard time saying it's a bunch of junk.

Artlover

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:25 PM
ParrotMom

GUILTY!!!! Some people spend their $$ drinking or gambling...we enjoy the auctions, also get a smalleducation at the same time. Your right about rather buying from an artist...but this is an opportunity to have souveniers of our trip. Our first prints or what have you were on a "parrot theme"...I know somebody who looks for beach prints. True, since Park West has take over everything has gone up in price and most of the work is unframed.....I've seen the wife of a famous basketball player bidding against me she could resell her piecesto her clients.. I've seen people buying Erte and Picasso very overprices...One of the pieces we bought this time was a print by Chen of the Streets of S.F.another was an autographed picture of Bobby Doerr, an old time Red Sox player.There was a woman I spoke to who bought 16 pieces on this trip..she buys upcoming artists and kept a meticulous list of costs,artists and previous bids...Many yesrs ago I bought a by a seriographby an artist that we fell in love with at first sight.... his work has so escalated that I couldn't come close to buying anything of his now.....Sorry Anartist

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Artlover

To Gail:

We have purchased quite a few pieces while on cruises, and have always been very pleased with them. I do not consider a Peter Maxx to be worthless trash as one of the posters said. Before the current company took over, it was a company out of Miami. One piece they shipped from Buenos Aires in a wooden crate, it was lovely, and we have enjoyed every penny of it. It sells from "those art dealers" for about 4 times more than what we paid for it. Many things sell for less than the cost of a high quality frame!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:30 PM
PaRROTMOM

Artlover...I too bought on this trip a smallTarkay...to add to my collection, I have one other..They too are going out of sight.. Wish I could afford a small Peter Maxx...oh yes..how about those mass produced over priced pictures by the artist who is on QVC and all the malls...he even tried to build aneighborhood in California that flopped...yechh

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Dee

We have purchased some art on cruises, but not since 1995. We like to frame it ourselves and some of the frames were more expensive than the art. We purchased the art because we liked it and it went with our decor. It may or may not have appreciated. We also like to purchase from local artists and are having a glass piece from a local glass blower delivered on Monday. In addition, we have had several multi-thousand dollar pieces commissioned by national artists. Art is what the individual likes and wants to put in their home. Our ship auction art, our local artists and national artist pieces all blend into our very contemporary home.

We liked the art much better when the company out of Miami held the auctions. Park West seems to keep the same artists, many of which don't interest us and we have all the Tarkay's our house can tolerate. Park West does not carry some of our favorite artists that the Miami company did.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Merriem

I did like the Miami company much better!

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Andy

The Auction Company is Park West and they have wonderful artists and decent prices- We got a beautiful piece of art and saved considerably on gallery prices-
We have been on 4 Celebrity Cruises and this is the company on this line...

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 11:10 PM
robert

yes i too have bought several pieces that have gone up in value best of all i enjoy them every day

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Alex

I would be very wary about what I did buy at these auctions. While "Anartist" was a bit strong I've had many of these works brought into my shop for appraisal and (if you'll note from the many responses here) people repeatedly defended buying these items by saying they've had it appraised "at more than what they paid for it". The next question you should ask is what will you pay me for it, or what will it actually sell for and 95% of the time it will be less, or far less than you paid for it. I've also seen these works come in with NON Acid free paper (ask any art store what I'm talking about) and cheap frames, both of which can seriously damage of devalue the work.
I will agree with several posts that say they bought the items because they found them pleasing...thats fine. But again, if you buy something from these auctions at a minimum take it somewhere and get it re-framed and remated before it's damaged, and don't buy it as an investment unless you really know what you are doing.
Alex

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Merriem

I know about the type of paper you are talking about, and all of mine are find.

I did not buy them to sell them, but to enjoy.

The frames are high quality, and the one that I did buy unframed, cost me nearly $300 to have framed in a gold one that wasn't nearly as nice as the ones that I had purchased complete.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:39 PM
robert

my last cost $680.00 to frame

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Sally

Merriem and Robert: WHERE are you getting your artwork framed? Ouch! Stay away from letting art dealers do it. Their markup is huge and any good frame shop knows how to properly mount and protect your work for a LOT less than you're paying. First you buy your art on a cruise ship, then you pay too much for the frames. I can understand $300 for a really nice frame but Robert.... ouch! Money must not be an issue here.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Merriem

I had only one piece framed, a Tarkay, at a shop where we had lived at the time. FRankly, the cost of framing is totally too high, and I do not intend to purchase anything unless it is already framed.