Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

So what are our chances? Are there better deals to be had if we wait?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 08:10 PM
pattie

We are planning to cruise in late Jan/early Feb and are ready to book as it seems that there are a few good deals out there. HOWEVER, the couple we are going with wants to wait for a while before booking as they feel there will be better deals later. We have our flights booked from western Canada, they live in eastern Canada and haven't booked flights but can drive to Miami if need be. We have a two week window - one week for cruising, one for sight seeing. My concern is if we wait we might be out of luck for <BR>A)the cruise we want (Eastern Caribbean, possibly Celebrity) <BR>B) Availability for car rental, hotels, etc. for the Florida Keys.<BR>I don't want to be packing my luggage on my back, onto a greyhound bus and staying in flea bag hotel!<BR>So... tell me... am I worrying needlessly? I have had the flights booked for a couple of months and am one of those types that like to have things planned and booked! <BR>Help!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Pattie,<BR><BR>I would say book now. Especially if you are worried. Your sail date is coming up fast. If you wish say a lowest inside cabin or the lowest outside cabin those maybe sold out already and you will be paying the higher price.<BR><BR>Economy cars also sell out and you may have to rent a more expensive model. Even hotels raise their prices when they are selling out. Stands to reason.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Peter

Perhaps some sounder advice would be to go ahead and make several hotel and car rental reservations spanning the two weeks you've planned. Those reservations can always be cancelled. You could also make cruise reservations for late Jan/early Feb now and if need be, cancel before the penalty period. That could give you a month or so to watch prices and for your friends to make up their mind.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Jason

Pattie<BR>Book your cruise, NOW!!! You are worried and fretting.If you book now it will be behind you.Then and only then,book the cars and hotels.And only book the cars and hotels you actually need.Then sit back and enjoy the anticipation.<BR>Jason

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:31 AM
xxx

Book now. We just booked a cruise for January 20th. Got a great rate, but only a few cabins left at that price. But we had to put a larger deposit down (Carnival raised their prices on that) and final payment is due November 21. So you might not have that much time left to change your mind before having to make that final payment. But keep in mind if the price goes down, you can usually work out an upgrade on a cabin or ship's credit. Maybe that will convince your friends to book now.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Pattie

Thanks for you replies. I think we have decided that we will wait one more week and then let our relatives know &quot;this is what we are booking and if you want to wait and still get a better deal, we hope you will join us&quot; <BR>Thanks again!

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 05:22 PM
xxx

Pattie I have had the same question but it makes me crazy having air fare paid for and to &quot;not know what I am doing&quot; type thing. I booked today, and it was the last cheaper ones on the cruise ship. Mine is RC so good luck. It is the roll of the dice. I would rather know it is taken care of, done with, period, final type thing. Mine is the end of Jan. A very popular and pricey time to gamble with in my opinion. Be safe, not sorry. Good luck.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 12:57 PM
nic

i think you've gotten the best advice for your situation..that is to book now and if the prices go down see about an upgrade to offset the higher price you've paid.. if at the very least atleast you know you have SOMETHING!!!<BR>Being a ta i have done this numerous times for clients