Languages on Queen Mary 2 transatlantic trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2023, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're considering home to Italy on the Queen Mary 2 the next time we visit the US. One thing that concerns me is that my husband speaks little English. Are there any activities in other languages? For instance, does the cinema show any foreign language films? Do they provide headsets that allow you to hear a dubbed version of a film?

Is there wifi on board? If so, is it outrageously expensive?

8 days on a ship without any activities for a non-English speaker doesn't sound like much fun. We are considering a winter trip, so sitting on the deck doesn't really attract us either.

Old Nov 1st, 2023, 01:26 PM
P_M

A quick Google tells me that English is the official language but assistance is also provided in French, German and Spanish. I'm not saying there won't be any Italian speakers on board but I wouldn't count on too much entertainment in Italian.

If I were in your shoes, I would call the cruise line with some of your questions. Good luck.
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 02:40 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
And, yes, wifi is expensive. I did without & didn't suffer unduly.
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 03:48 PM

You probably know already, and their TA cruises may not be convenient for you, but sometime you might consider an MSC cruise. We did MSC Divina a few years ago and the ship, entertainment and food was all wonderful. The ship is beautiful and the entertainment was probably the best of any cruise we had been on. Much was not dependent on language, but some programs were in Italian. There were many Italian speakers on board and many of the entertainers and staff spoke Italian, so it might be nice for your husband. We have not been on a Cunard ship yet, but I suspect it may be quite different in some respects. The Divina, when we went, had many, many children, but that was in the Caribbean, so likely different for a TA.
Old Nov 2nd, 2023, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
You probably know already, and their TA cruises may not be convenient for you, but sometime you might consider an MSC cruise. We did MSC Divina a few years ago and the ship, entertainment and food was all wonderful. The ship is beautiful and the entertainment was probably the best of any cruise we had been on. Much was not dependent on language, but some programs were in Italian. There were many Italian speakers on board and many of the entertainers and staff spoke Italian, so it might be nice for your husband. We have not been on a Cunard ship yet, but I suspect it may be quite different in some respects. The Divina, when we went, had many, many children, but that was in the Caribbean, so likely different for a TA.
Thanks Sassafrass, but this trip would be to avoid an overnight transatlantic flight when we return from the US. My husband takes a long time to recover from these trips. Even if we fly business class, he just can't sleep. I saw that the transatlantic Queen Mary 2 trip is not really more expensive than a business class flight.

​​​
Old Nov 2nd, 2023, 11:06 AM
P_M

If you're still considering it, let's look at the bright side. Much of the entertainment involves music, and you can enjoy music without understanding the words. The same applies to dancing. Does he like books? Bring a stack of books in Italian. He can enjoy all of the good food and drinks as well. Massages don't require language either, you can tell the masseuse what he wants and leave him to it. And who knows, maybe you'll find some new Italian friends on board.
Old Nov 2nd, 2023, 03:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed my crossing on the QM2 despite not being one who's cruised before or after or someone who seeks "activities". As P_M says, for the few days you'll be on the ship there are plenty of relaxing things to do, discover quiet corners to read & windows to sit by, warm & watching the ocean roll by. Plus an occasional other ship or breaching whale. I can't imagine it'll be anything but pleasant.