transatlantic crossing in July on Queen Mary

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transatlantic crossing in July on Queen Mary

60th birthday plans have changed to the Queen Mary to Cherbourg-then I thought rent a car and drive where? Any advice ? Beaches of Normandy? Luxemborg? Antwerp? I realize July is going to be busy so would like to avoid Paris and enjoy where fodorites might suggest is less crowded-help!
How is the Queen Mary?
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:18 AM

How is the Queen Mary? BIG, that's all I know.

Funny, but I think Paris is sort of less crowded in July than many other months. Normandy and the Loire Valley could fill up a lot of time, but to be honest, I think July might be their busiest months. Not that the crowds would be a real issue.

How much time with a car are you talking about?
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:38 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You might put this in the Europe forum instead.

If it was me I'd head west and south - around Brittany and down into the Aquitaine - Dordogne, etc. Then from there it would depend on your timing. It will be getting quite warm along the Mediterranean in July.

The QM2 is really not too different physically than other big cruise ships, although they try to tell you she's an ocean liner instead of a cruise ship. Its somewhat rigid class structure - segregation of dinner venues by cabin class - seems silly but maybe it's clever marketing. One thing is that there are no schlocky "excursions" offered as you cross the Atlantic, so more on-board activities like visiting lecturers, drama performances, etc. - depending on the sailing.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

neopatrick, haven't decided yet how much time.....probably just 3-4 days we don't know this area at all
love wine and exploring new places. Sounds like Normandy beaches not a good idea.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 04:51 PM

For three or four days, I'd consider settling in somewhere like the lovely little town of Chinon and do some day drives to wineries and to chateaux.