Reload this Page >

Queen Mary in Long Beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 10:05 AM
William Harrison

Want to see this beautiful ship. Is it worth the time? What do you get to do?

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 01:17 PM
Paul Rabe

"Worth the time", yes; "worth the money" is borderline. You get to walk around the ship and see how a real ocean liner operates [for some reason you never see engine rooms on "The Love Boat" :^) ] You get to meet and talk with real ship captains. And you learn a little about general seamanship.

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 04:29 PM
Debbie

Hi William - Would agree that it's time well spent visiting The Queen Mary. You can either take a guided tour, or wander around by yourself, but if you've made the effort to get there, then take the tour. There's also a hotel on board (former first class staterooms), that would be recommended if you're looking for someplace other than a hotel/motel for a nite's stay (if you have an Entertainment book, The QM offers discounts). Check out their website at www.queenmary.com if you haven't already done so.

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 04:23 AM
A Vernon

Hi William . . . I've taken the tour and thought it was well worth an afternoon. I also thought the price was borderline, but the ship is a gem.

Be sure to watch the video after you enter the Queen Mary! Lots of fascinating info -- how many troops hauled in WWII, $$$ offered to Nazi ships to try and sink her, celebrities who sailed, etc. The ship really played an important role in WWII.

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 11:54 AM
John

I would take the tour. You will get a lot more out of your visit that way. I've stayed in the rooms there. They are nice but very small, similar in size to current cruise ship rooms, but they don't look like the inside of a motorhome like current cruise ship rooms. My wife and I stayed there one night for our anniversary after a great dinner at Sir Winstons restaurant on the ship. Expensive, but for a special occasion it was great.