Search

Labadee????

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Labadee????

Has anyone been to Labadee, Haiti, and if so, what is your opinion on the island? And what the heck is there to do there? We are considering visiting Malfini Beach . . . has anybody been there?
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:56 AM

Labadee is the private pennisula that Royal Carribean leases. It is a lovely spot with palm trees, white sand beaches, some water sports, a water park for the kids, lunch brought ashore by the cruise line, a straw market with aggressive sellers that you can avoid, and a truly great day. We have been twice and always look forward to a relaxing beach day that doesn't cost a dime.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 11:09 PM

I was also there with Royal Caribbean. It was the most beautiful stop on our 7 day Western Caribbean cruise. Totally unexpected. The previous poster gave a good description of what is there, but didn't mention the mountain behind it or the lovely bay. It is a gorgeous setting in which to spend a day on the beach.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Ditto above - a much unexpected delight. We aren't beach people but the snorkeling was nice, waters felt wonderful, shady areas to lay in, a market where everyone is dying to deal with you so by all means BARGAIN.

Better than the other private 'islands' we have been to in the past.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 02:44 PM

Good question sms1az. I'm going on a Western Caribbean cruise in September on RC's Mariner of the Seas. Is this the same ship you cruised gabriele?
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:58 PM

I hate to burst your bubble, but Labadee is no paradise. It is on the northern coast of civil-war torn Haiti. Royal Caribbean is very careful to keep the name "Haiti" off their glossy brochures. If you look close enough, the entire area is barbed wired off to keep the locals out. On the other side of the fence are hungry children waiting with their hands poking through the fence holes. While the island is exceptionally lovely, I felt very uneasy the entire time we were there. The extreme poverty and violence that these people suffer from on a daily basis was enough to make me want to get back on my big boat and sail away... BTW, I just read that Labadee has been taken off their port of call list while the violent uprising is happening.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 06:50 PM

With the violence presently taking place in Haiti, I for one would not want to be on that island.

What does the U.S. Consulate say? Didn't the Marines just arrive to protect Americans?
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 11:01 AM

I understand that RCCL is not going to Labadee now due to the trouble in Haiti. They say it'll be an extra day at sea or a day on their private island in Bahamas.