Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Why can a cruise be better than a beach vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I LOVE the beach, particularly when they are located in front of the beautiful hotel my husband and I are staying at. I even travel with my own float!

To me, this is what I find to be appealing about a cruise, in addition to what the previous posters stated....after about 5 days, a beach vacation can get a little boring. When on a cruise, it is NEVER long enough. A 14 day cruise is perfect, especially in the Mediterranian! A 7 day cruise is depressing, because it is over with so soon.

There are so many islands that have wonderful beaches. On a cruise, you can enjoy a different beach each day!
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 07:26 AM

I LOVE the beach, too AND I love cruising but no longer do the two together. I just don't like the hassle of getting to the beach from the cruise ship and worrying about getting back to the ship on time while I'm relaxing on a beach. My favorite time on the beach is late afternoon - with a lot of cruises, you have to head back to the ship too early. If we want to go to the beach, we either rent an apartment or house at the beach. If we want to cruise, we go on a site-seeing or transatlantic cruise.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:52 AM

...or you could take a cruise that has one of those wonderful private islands as one of the stops. A whole day to enjoy the beach---free food, water sports available, cruise employees on shore, transportation provided from ship to islands, etc. Just a wonderful carefree day!!
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:49 AM

A beach vacation is only wonderful if you have good weather. Imagine being stranded at a beach resort with days of rain or turbulent seas.

When you cruise, not only do you have an opportunity to see many beaches, but you don't have to decide where to have meals, what to do in the evening for entertainment, etc. Since, you are "locked in" to the cruise for the duration, you have an opportunity to meet so many great people from different parts of the world. At resorts, people are always coming and going.

With 25 cruises under my belt, I can honsetly say I have never ever been boored.

Happy sails.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 10:41 AM

I would rather cruise than do a beach vacation -
1- i see a different island everyday
2- food and entertainment included
3- kids can get bored at a beach vacation versus a cruise. lots for them to do
4- friends did a beach vacation last year instead of the cruise and the first night the daughter said she was bored and said next year a cruise.

I think there is much more available on a cruise for you to do or not to do in my opinion. I love seeing the different islands. This Xmas we will be on there for 10 days and are all counting the days till we go.