Search

Grand Turk

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Turk

My recent cruise to Grand Turk was cancelled and the ship went to Nasau instead, something to do with a quarantine. Wondering if it is a ploy to change itinerary wihtout notice and how do you quarantine an entire country anyway?
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 09:37 AM

No, it was not a ploy. The cruise port was closed for a week because several cruise passengers had contracted a nitro virus there recently. The port has been cleaned and sanitized and is now one again.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

I have never heard of an illness called nitro virus so I look it up on google. The only reference I can find is that it is a computer viurs. Am I missing something? Cruise passengers contracted a computer virus and they quarantine the place?

After we boarded the ship, we were told the whole itinerary have changed. Instead of stopping at Princess Cay as the first stop, Nassau is the first port of call. I didn't want to go to Nassau. We didn't have a choice. They refunded port charges for Grand Turk and added on Bahama's. Did I already said I don't want to go to Nassau?

The highlight of the cruise was suppose to be catching a glimps of the green flash of the Grand Turk sunset. To say I was disappointed is an understatment.

If they would have told me that the ship would stop in on Nassau instead of Grand Turk, I would have cancelled the cruise.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 12:18 PM

Sorry ... Autocorrect. Norovirus. It's very well known and common.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

LOL

Not to worry Doug, about the funny autocorrect error. Happens to me all the time. Is there autocorrect or spell check on the forum here?
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 03:38 PM

Norovirus is the Norwalk virus on cruise ships
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 07:01 AM

Not to worry about the "green flash" and, please, don't let it ruin your cruise. You may not have seen it anyway if there were any clouds on the horizon and you can see it in many places, including the open ocean, if conditions are right. We have been to the Caribbean maybe 25 times and seen it perhaps 4 or 5 times. I would rather miss the green flash than contract the Norovirus. Cruise itineraries can be changed at the discretion of any cruise line for many reasons. No, you don't have a say in the matter. Lighten up and go with the flow, you will be much happier.
Old May 4th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

You are lucky to have seen the "green flash". I'll just have to keep on looking ...
Old May 8th, 2013, 05:25 AM

According to your cruise documents the cruise line is allowed to change the itinerary. Sitka was dropped when we cruised Alaska due to an engine problem. Passengers weren't notified until they boarded! During hurricane season it is not unusual to have ports changed/skipped. I think of a cruise as buying a cabin on the ship not the itinerary. Of course the ports are the reason I choose the cruise but I realize there could be a deviation.
Old May 8th, 2013, 06:50 AM

Well sometimes, often really you don't know of an itinerary change until after you board and that due to changes in circumstances, like the weather, politics, illness and so on. Our stop in Ashdod was cancelled d/t rocket attacks the night b4 we were to enter the port. No stop in Raratonga d/t to high seas and our Moorea/Bora Bora stops were reversed. It happens.

So does norvirus. Its true and I had that as well.

All in all I'll still be a cruise fan.
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

I know. But it is disappointing just the same. I have heard of people quarantined on board but the whole island? I guess it could happen.