Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

What's more important- the cruise line or ports of call?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a cruise next year for our family and am tossed between two options. The first is on the Carnival Valor (new ship this fall) which has an itinerary that really interests my husband and I-Belize, Hondorus, Cozumel & Grand Cayman (Sounds exotic to us). The other is a RCCL cruise to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel (a bit boring?). We definitely prefer the itinerary of the Valor, but are unsure of Carnival's reputation. I've heard from several people RCCL is great. The price of the two options is the same. What should we base our decision on- the locations or ship?? Bear in mind, we have 3 kids- 10,9, and 6 and we would like for them to have a great experience-both on and off the ship. Please help! All this thinking has given me numerous headaches!!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 04:20 AM

My first concern in cruising is what the ports are and I definetely think you will enjoy the Valor itinerary as will your children. Grand Caymen are definetely not exotic
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 04:47 AM

njmom.....Grand Cayman has been decimated by Ivan the Terrible...It would not surprise me if GC is dropped as a destination by the cruise lines for a while.When all reports are in,we will see the horror that Mother Nature has dealt that part of the world.It will take years to rebuild.If I were planning this cruise, I would wait at least until the dust settles a bit and see if either/both itineraries will have been modified before making any committments. Just MHO.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 04:48 AM

To us, the age of the ship is important. A new ship is always a big draw. We've sailed both lines and although we prefer RCCL, we've had great times on both. I think Carnival has the edge when it comes to kids programs, don't forget they are the "Fun Ships".

New ship and better ports tells me its Carnival in this case. Keep in mind that Cayman and Jamaica were pretty beat up by Ivan.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 06:06 AM

Both have advantages. Having just completed my first cruise, I would say that itinerary is very important. I would choose to see places that were of interest to me. If there are a lot of ports, the ship may not be as important.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone! Good advice about waiting out the present hurricane season to book anything.
Has anyone been to Belize or Hondorus ? I'm imagining they are interesting to visit and would be a lot of fun for the kids to see, but am I wrong??
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 07:08 AM

njmom....Go over to the Latin America Board......There is a Belize expert and I do mean expert in every way..He lives there..His name is Lan Sluder.If you scroll down the first 50 messages I guarantee there will be one about Belize.He will have responded.Click on his name and just read any of his posts.
Enjoy
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 04:54 PM
JJ5

My son was on the last cruise before Charley came through. He went on the Carnival Inspiration with wife and three children 5, 8, and 9. The kids had A BALL. The adults went down the "falls" in a tube in Belize. Everyone raved about the trip and loved the family atmosphere. I'd go with Carnival if I had kids.

I'm supposed to go to Grand Cayman and Jamaica in Feb. on Princess. My final payment is in November. I wonder if they will keep the same ports. I don't feel like I should keep tourist dollars away, as I really am not "staying" there- just short visits. It is sort of ironic, because I finally got partner to go to "3rd World" (in his words) countries and now they really are suffering. We have traveled a lot and I'm not going to cancel.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 07:19 PM

I agree with ParrotMom.

When I go on a cruise ,the ports of call are the most important to me.

I already know the room will be nice and the food will be just fine.

There are so many Permutations and Combinations for ports of call in the Caribbean Islands....that you really have to know where you are going.

Percy

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 02:30 PM

IMHO the bad reputation for Carnival is not deserved. We have cruised both and found the food on Carnival decidedly better than RCCL though the latter had better entertainment. recently we met a couple who have cruised Carnival around a dozen times. Obviously that says something. And let me add for Carnival naysayers that they are both teaching professionals. I think you will be fine on Carnival. JM2C.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 03:54 AM

I agree with others, the ports is first and then the ship. Even though I would prefer RCCL over Carnival, the ports sound better and it is a newer ship after all.
Go with Carnival!