Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Do you choose a cruise based on Ship or Itninerary?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:56 AM
MaryAnne

I have heard people say both, but I don't know why.

I personally believe that you are on a ship most of the time with a few stops in ports. So you should select a ship that you like first and then the itinerary is second on the priority list.

Afterall, what happens if you have bad weather and a port gets canceled?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:59 AM
hman

For those of us that live near a port city (such as those of us that live in Florida) the itinerary is more important. For example, I will chose based on leaving from Miami (and all such ships go to either the Eastern, or Western Caribbean). Once you pick your itinerary, then you have about 10-15 ships to choose from. Just choose the cheapest one of those.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:19 AM
man

Ship everytime, the best ports in the world cannot make up for lousy service, bad food etc, etc

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:07 AM
Cathy

I guess I try to balance the two. Some of my friends are "cruisers", they love the experience of being on a boat, the "cruise culture", the ocean, etc. I am more of a traveler and I like seeing different islands.
Some of my family and I are booked on the Pride. I was interested in the 10 day Paradise cruise because it went to some great ports, but I was concerned because it was an older ship. Plus we got a great price on the Pride!

It really is a balance of the two for me. Being a summer cruiser, because I teach, I am getting bored with the cruise ports that most of the cruise lines stop at. It has also gotten to the point that most of the main cruise lines offer pretty much the same experience. So if I can find a ship that goes to a place I have never been before and the ship is not a dump and the food is edible and the price is right, I will be interested.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 12:58 AM
Paul Therault

Hi MaryAnne,

Depends on the person. Some just like to cruise and do not care for ports.

Some ships are destinations such as Royal Caribbean Voyager, Explorer and Navigator. There is so much to see and do on these ships you may not want to get off.

Paul

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 02:41 PM
Holly

I always start with a combination of length, itinerary and $$. I do NOT want to see the same ports time after time and I have been crusing since 1969 and have done numerous land trips to Carribean and Mexico. Those I saw way back when or did land trips to say more than 5 yars ago are candidates to revisist and see the changes. However if We were there in o1 or 00 or 99 I would not be inclined to revisit unless it was only 1/3 or more ports. I want to see new/changed places and get the biggest bang for my $$. That is part iof the reason we generally book oceanview guarantee or OV run of the ship and hope for a "fairy" visit.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 05:30 AM
Parrot Mom

Our first cruise 17 years ago we opted for destinations..places I had never been..and still do.. ports that probably aren't as popular with tourists.. I have yet to go to St. Martin, St. Croix, and only went to St. Thomas on a lands vacation much to my regret (hated the place).. Yet, Cartegena, San Blas Islands, Grenada and St. Lucia were visited before the hordes of cruise ships. Am I a snob, maybe. On the other hand..going to Bermuda on the Majesty where we stay for 4 days is a delight..a chance to explore a lovely island. Days at sea are the biggest draw and two years ago we did a repositioning cruise from Miami to L.A. of 14 days with only 4 ports...it was heaven..days at sea. this year we are doing trans-Atlantic from London to Boston...no stops.. I'm delighted to see cruise ships leaving from other ports like Baltimore and Boston.. and hope as in the Cruise News that the destinations of the Midland Islands become a big draw.. How many times can you go to the Grand Caymens or St. Martin!! Okay, guilty about Bermuda, but I love it..and it's directly from Boston.. Destination, destination, destination..that's my motto and days at sea.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 11:36 PM
Kathy

I'm quite surprised by these responses as i always pick the itinerary first, then the ship. I travel outside the country approx four times a year, doing one cruise. After doing the Caribbean I know look for foreign ports: Tahiti, Med, Greek and then there's Alaska. Would love to do Eastern Canada next.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 09:34 AM
tim

You need to land somewhere in between the best itinery on the worst ship and the worst itinery on the best ship. A personal decision with everyone's opinion being 'right' for them. Just avoid the 'dogs'.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Lenore

I choose by itinerary, length and dates of the cruise, and then by cruiseline. However, there are certain lines I would not pick no matter how perfect their itineraries or dates are. So I guess I narrow it to say three cruiselines and then compare their itineraries, age and size of the ship, and price. Ideally, I would create my own itinerary (choosing islands I have not yet been to, or ones that were particularly memorable) and pick the ship and sailing date. Wouldn't that be great?!

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Chickadee

Gotta agree with those who say itinerary first, then the ship. I could not continue to repeat the same ports over and over. We've been to the Carribean once, that was enough. I want to see the world, not sit and read a book on my vacation. I sit for 40 hours a week at work, when I'm on vacation, I want to get up and move around.

If I had more time and money to cruise, then maybe selecting the ship would be more important. There are certain cruise lines, on both ends of the spectrum we would never consider.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 04:55 PM
ashuma

I usaually use both in deciding on a cruise. In fact, thought we had the ideal cruise picked out -- HAL's Amsterdam to the Med -- until HAL cancelled the cruise and substituted what I consider inferior ships for the 2002 Med cruises. So we stuck with the Amsterdam and decided on Alaska when a good deal was offered on our suite. Our cruise to the Med will probably be on a Silverseas as I've learned more about them and I think they offer the best itinerary along with the great cruise experience.

When I went to the Greek Islands for a 7 day cruise it was definitely for the itinerary. Same when I went on a Hawaiian Island cruise. Been to the Caribbean so often that I would always be swayed by what ship if I went back.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:05 PM
cash

Always ports since traveling and seeing new places is why I am cruising. The cruise part is secondary and just transportation, but very nice transportation. We do have definite ideas on which cruise line or ship. There are enough cruise lines in the world to be fussy.