Alaska with Kids - Celebrity or RCCL?

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Heide

Alaska with Kids - Celebrity or RCCL?

My husband and I are planning our first cruise - a 7 night Gulf of Alaska cruise in August -with our two boys, ages 9 and 13. After a lot of research, we have narrowed our choices down to Celebrity's "Summit" or RCCL's "Legend of the Seas." From what I can tell, my husband and I would love the atmosphere and food on the Celebrity ship, while the RCCL ship would have a lot more kid-oriented features (miniature golf, arcades, indoor pool, basketball, and a fantastic kid's program.) Can anyone give us some advice?

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Heide,

Granted RCCL would have more physical areas for children and also a fine children's program, but do not hesitate to think that Celebrity's program is any less attractive. There is more one-on-one and the coordinators are true educators.

I have a feeling that your 13 year old (as with other teens) will not wish to join in any structured program but will find friends and just hang out.

Paul

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 03:28 AM
Theresa

Just returned from Radiance in Alaska.

Tons of kids on this ship!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Mame

Hi Heide,
We did an alaskan cruise with my kids three years ago and at time were 11 and 14 on the Celebrity Galaxy. It was a marvelous cruise and my kids did enjoy themselves. However, the kid program was geared more for the the younger set such as 10 and under. My kids did meet kids on their own and had a great time. We took a cruise last year on Carnival and they had much more fun because of all the fun things Carnival had for them to do. But when they compared the difference, they said they would like to have the luxury experience again. Of course, Carnival doesn't even compare to either of the two cruise lines you stated. I would definetly think hard about both of these lines for your family. Enjoy your cruise.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:27 PM
sonya

Hi all,
We are also considering Alaska next summer with our two kids ages 7 & 10. We are debating between Royal Carib and Carnival.

Can anyone give me the pluses and minus of these two lines on an Alaskan Cruise?

Or, any info on Alaskan Cruises with kids for that matter

Thanks all!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Debbie

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise on the Summit with three teenage boys. We also spent one week on land in Alaska and all the boys found the cruise the best part of the trip.
The shore excursions were wonderful for an active family. The kayaking was fun and educational in Ketchikan and poor in Valdez. We loved the hike in Skagway and whale watching in Juneau. Take the smaller and faster boat that is offered in Juneau. The naturalist was really good. The Mendenthall Glacier raft trip was a highlight of our trip.
The staff were very accomodating to the kids on the Summit. I was amazed at the quality of the food. My 13 year old son loves games and trivia. He was welcomed everyday to the games more oriented to adults. He played games and danced with the counselors in the evenings. The video game room was good. All of the boys enjoyed the music room.
The teen counselors were outstanding. While the facilities for the teens were not all that special, the kids had a good time hanging out together and were well treated on the ship.
The ship is beautiful!!!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:58 PM
john

Been on both with kids, RCCL to Alaska and Mercury to the Carib. Both had excellent children's programs. Asked my children, they rated Celebrity slightly ahead of RCCL. I also think is also a function of the others that they meet on board. In any event, both were great and I recommend them highly.