alaska: too "boring" for kids?

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alaska: too "boring" for kids?

We have a group of 5 kids and 10 adults. The kids range from 3 to 17, four of which are under 8. Will there be enough to do on an Alaska cruise for 7 days? I'm concerned that all that beautiful scenery might get old in 20 minutes to kids used to 7 min sound bytes and internet games.

p.s None of us have ever been on a cruise or to Alaska. thanks for your input.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 09:20 PM

On Princess cruises leaving from Vancouver there are great activities for kids in that age range. There are lots of activities and even my 16 had fun and he is kind of picky. They have a video arcade, arts and crafts, etc. We've also been on other cruise lines and they have all had great kid's activities, but overall I recommend Princess - it's a good combination for adults and kids. There are also some good shore excurisions that kids would enjoy, like a gold mine and a cool train ride that goes along part of the gold rush trail. It is pretty amazing. There is also a submarine-like excursion that the kids would probably like.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 12:21 AM

I have seen plenty of bored kids in Alaska. But with the "excess" of adults there will be plenty of hands to take care. I would definately go on a ship that has activities for 3 year olds and what they are??? Under 8 is a hard age- they need more supervision etc. Since none have cruised before- I would encourage you to realize you may have to leave the dining, shows etc if you have a disruptive child. Overall, Alaska sailings have a bulk of passengers middle aged an above - but all ages sail there. Just don't expect the kid numbers like the Caribbean. Realize the cruise brochures are greatly enhanced- if you plan on showing your children wildlife- tours will be necessary and require patience and time with a good pair of binoculars. Another consideration you all need to look at is touring- you get only 1/2 a trip without them and they are very costly and some not appropiate for small children. Under 5 I would be hesistant to book anything more than an hour. Longer tours- have no way "out" and with the costs to you and other passengers- it could be a disaster. I would suggest a round trip cruise with a good kids program- all ships have them- look at the age separations and activites for under 5. Strongly consider a line with sitting services- this way the adults could all enjoy a night out together?? I don't want to sound discouraging but finding solutions for these issues will provide a more enjoyable trip for everyone.

I don't know of any "submarine" tour?? Any further information. The White Pass RR is costly and usually plenty of bored kids on board. A significant reason to consider this trip is for the history, engineering and scenery- usually of little interest to young kids.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 07:54 AM

It's in Sitka, called the:
Sea Life Discovery Semi-Submersible
It runs from May 01 - Sep 30, 2004