Cruise to Alaska with teenagers

Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Cruise to Alaska with teenagers

Any line or ship that you would recommend when traveling on a seven day cruise to Alaska with two teenagers, girl 17 and boy 13? Looking for fun activities and the possiblity of other teens. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Heavens
Jan 4th, 2004, 05:39 AM

Overall expect far fewer kids sailing Alaska compared to the Caribbean INCLUDING Carnival- no party ships to Alaska yet. Instead- I would base my choice on other factors- route, time in ports, glacier, price. The kids will have a great time however they go. Budget for costly excursions- they are just supurb in Alaska- skimp elsewhere.
Jan 4th, 2004, 01:07 PM
gbs

We traveled a few years ago with our children ages 22, 19 and 16. They were not looking forward to an Alaskan cruise, but all loved it. On advice of travel agent, we went with Royal Caribbean and found that there were tons of families and kids in early August.
Jan 7th, 2004, 06:35 PM

We sailed on Royal Caribbean to Alaska in August 2001 with two boys, then 11 and 15. They found friends quickly in the kids clubs (at their respective ages). The only thing that bothered me was that the 15 year old was included in the 15-17 year old group, and their activities didn't begin until 10 pm. and went until 1-2 a.m. when they could turn the day-time kids club into their own private teen club.
I was concerned that a 15 year old was not mature enough to hang with the older kids who were almost off on their own. We ended setting curfews and stood by them. They knew the rules and still had fun. The older group ended up emailing each other when they returned home and I think they are still on AOL IM buddy lists.
They will love Alaska, for the cruise and the scenery as well.
Jan 8th, 2004, 04:21 AM

I had more kids on my Alaska Radiance cruise 2 years ago then I have on 90% of my Caribbean cruises.

Kids are becoming more popular on Alaskan cruises.