Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Will we feel out of place with our teenage kids on a Windstar Cruise?

May 8th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

We are considering a Windstar cruise this coming July in the Eastern Mediterranean.
After reading reviews and looking at their brochures, I'm just curious about how many people bring their kids with them on these cruises.
We would like a smaller ship, not a big Royal Caribbean type cruise, and something nice.
Have you had any experience with well behaved teenagers on a Windstar cruise? Will our girls feel out of place?

May 12th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Wehave been on multiple Windstar cruises and have not seen one (not one) child or teen. They do not have any activities that are about kids, and there isn't much to do...ship is small, and most of the passengers are couples, many middle aged or older. I think that they would be bored silly. Why not take a Princess or HAL cruise instead, where they have structured activities for teens and kids. ? We have taken several cruises (Princess and HAL), each time with a different batch of grand kids and they had a wonderful time. We seldom even saw them, and they made life long friends. If the cruise is about the kids, that would be my recommendation. Windstar simply doesn't provide entertainment, except for perhaps a exercise class, or a 'sailor's know' demonstration, a trip thru the 'galley,' etc. Or better yet, send them to camp, and you go alone....get to know each other again.
May 18th, 2007, 09:32 AM

I agree with Clarasong. I just returned from a Windstar Cruise, and not only were there no teenagers/children, I found the majority of folks to be in their 50s-60s. It's a sedate environment so I wouldn't recommend it for young people.
Feb 15th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Ditto---we never saw any kids. They'd be bored to tears.
Feb 15th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Double Ditto,
This is not the place for teens.