3 out of 4!

Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

3 out of 4!

Not having been on many cruises, I did not know that sometimes your ship can not make it to all ports. We cruised RC last week and were not able to stop at the Grand Caymans, the tenders were not able to run due to high winds. Obviously we were very disappointed and even more disappointed to find out that there is no compensation. Calls to RC fell on deaf ears and they basically said "tough luck". I've come to the conclusion that Royal Caribbean is more concerned with selling booze, bingo, photos and excursions, than satisfying their customers. We won't be cruising RC in the future.
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:48 PM

Part of the cruise contract that you sign (but probably didn't read - I never do) says that RCCL (and all other cruise lines say this) has the right to alter any schedule without any compensation.

It is pretty common for cruise lines (all of them) to skip ports if the waters are rough and you have to tender in. There are other reasons ships miss ports. We skipped one once because a "military ship was in our spot and we coudn't dock there".

This isn't an RCCL issue - all cruise lines do this. Most of the time they do refund your port fee for the island but that is only a few dollars.
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:30 PM

The ships skip Grand Cayman often. I have been to the Western Caribbean four times and only stopped at Cayman twice. Once on Norweign and once on Celebrity. I think all the cruise lines are interested in selling booze, bingo, photos and excursions - it's how they make their money. How was the food, your cabin, the crew? Maybe cruising isn't for you.
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:13 PM

While it would stink to count on a port and not get to go there, maybe this is some consellation. We were on a short RC cruise last May and the tenders could take us to their "private island" for a beach day. But while we were there a tropical thunderstorm swept in and we were stranded on the island for 2 hours. The mothership had to reposition itself to help block the waves so the tenders could make it back. Waves were crashing over the sides of the tenders, we were all terrified and the Gilligan's Island theme song was racing thru my head since I was sure we would end up shipwrecked somewhere. In our case, I think they should have listened to a weather report and skipped the island.
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:32 PM

RE/ G. Cayman, it is pretty routine for cruise lines to miss this port due to weather. We were on Celebrity a couple of months ago and had to skip due to rough water. No one was compensated. Just one of the breaks that go with life.
So, you see it's not only Royal Caribbean.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:20 AM

Have to agree, we sailed Celebrity Mercury in February and were crossing our fingers that we would be able to tender, it was touch and go for a while but we made it, and it was a beautiful sunny day. Hardly any ships were able to tender there the past few months.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:59 AM

MNAL-- I have cruised for over 25 years-
we were supposed to stop at St. Martin on 3 DIFFERENT cruise ships and # different LINES-- and none of them made it in as it was also too rough to lower the tenders--

It has NOTHING to do with the cruise ship trying to make more money off of you...strictly a safety measure as they tenders are small and in rough seas, could be impossible to handle....and they fill those tenders to capacity +
most times....

You never get compensated for a missed port---

While I know you are upset, all you missed on Grand Caymans was a nice beach, overpriced stores-no bargains, and a submarine tour--which in rough seas is a literal wash as the waters get all murky and you can't see anything anyway----We hit Grand Caymans a week after a tropical storm and this is what we experienced....

This is the norm with cruise ships but it does NOT happen as a routine--seriously, they would much prefer to let you see the island than complain about a missed port....
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:23 PM

We have been to GC about 5 times, for some strange reason, the ships always make a special effort to go there.

Maybe it is the clean island-no crime,etc.

I think if is at all possible the ships will tender.

One time, they could not tender into the downtown dock, but went to the calm side of the island, so we could get in.

Maybe more ships should do this. Or- if the government would build a dock-we would not have this problem!
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:12 PM

The Caymans don't necessarily beg someone to come, especially cruise ships. One big reason they don't build a dock is that it would destroy a lot of the coral, etc. Another is that the water is so deep it would be a major undertaking. Can't say I blame them for not building one.
Simply stating they should build a dock
and there would be no problem makes it sound so simple.
Maybe in time there will be a dock but I doubt it, at least not for a very long time.

Search this Thread