Galaxy or Century?

Oct 24th, 2002, 02:52 AM
sue

Galaxy or Century?

OK folks, I've narrowed it down to either the Galaxy Ultimate Caribbean out of Baltimore (I live very close - part of the draw) or the Western Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale. Either would be the end of March. We are late 40's/mid 50's, first time cruisers, like exploring new places and snorkeling. Any suggestions on one over the other? I like the idea of Baltimore but have read some less than stellar reviews of Galaxy.

Thanks in advance,

Sue

Oct 24th, 2002, 03:20 AM
Mary

Sue: I have been on the Galaxy twice: Alaska and Panama Canal repositionings; therefore, long cruises. I too just recently read a review from someone on Cruise Critic that didn't like the cruise. I thought his review was somewhat petty. The Galaxy is one of my favorite Celebrity ships. The service was great, the food was great, and the ship is beautiful.

We too live in the Baltimore/DC area (Hooray! they may have caught the sniper) and I would have to admit that being able to drive to Baltimore to cruise is great (have done it twice). It's real easy.

Can't say anything about the Century. We'll be on her doing the Western Caribbean on 11/23 - 11/30. So I can report back then.

Personally I think you can't go wrong with Celebrity.

Oct 24th, 2002, 03:51 AM
Sue

Mary,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I've also read some rave reviews - so you are not sure what to believe. The internet is great to get all sides, but it's reassuring to hear from folks who have been there, done that. I would like our first cruise to be a positive experience!

Sounds more and more like they may have him and I hope they do - the number of lives this guy has ended and the families affected is just so sad.

Enjoy your next cruise!

Sue

Oct 24th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Lenore

We've sailed on both the Galaxy and the Mercury with Celebrity. The Galaxy cruise was a Southern itinerary out of San Jaun which we really enjoyed. I don't recall anything unpleasant about this ship. Celebrity is one of the better mainstream lines, so I don't think you'll be disappointed. I live in South Florida, so we can always take a cruise without flying, which is much easier than relying on the airlines to get you there on time! I would probably do the one that leaves out of Baltimore, assuming the itinerary is good. Have fun!

Oct 24th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Rick

Sailed the Galaxy in March and would gladly sail it again. It's not a glitzy as some of the newer ships but it is clean, well laid out and has a staff that makes the trip worthwhile.

Oct 24th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Jackie

Sue,
We sailed both these ships. Two years ago on the Galaxy and this past Feb. on the Century. In terms of the ships I would choose the Galaxy, beautiful ship great service and food, the itinerary is a busy one. The Century needed to be spruced up and it doesn't stop at as many islands, however the fact that you have never cruised before or been to any of the islands it really won't matte. You will have a great time on whichever one you choose.

Oct 24th, 2002, 11:07 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Sue,

The only negative is that it will be cold sailing out of Baltimore in March.

I would not listen to the negative reviews concerning the Galaxy.

Paul

Oct 25th, 2002, 02:11 AM
Sue

Thanks all,

Am visiting the ta after work today and he will have worked up prices on both outside and inside cabins on both itineraries. We are looking at the March 28th sailing so although it will be cold the first day or so we should be in warmer weather after that. I'll let you know what we decide - thanks again for your thoughts!

Sue

Oct 31st, 2002, 08:17 PM
Andy

Sue- figured I'd put in my 2 cents worth--

I LOVED the Century- it is the training ship for Celebrity , so the SERVICE is impeccable,warm, and courteous-- ONE of the best cruises we have ever taken.

Yes, it could use some sprucing up- it is NOT glitzy- but it is nice--
Food is out of this world, and out of almost 30 years of cruising , met a Maitre de who we acutally got friendly with aside from the usual maitre de who came around on tip nite to see how your service was--

I can say NOTHING negative on the Century..

We have also sailed the Zenith-and like that ship also...but service and foodwise, Century beat it out!

Personally , I would leave out of Miami or Ft Lauderdale- Your roughest cruising is from NY to Miami ( of which Balitmore is part of that coastline) , so it is colder and also much rockier.

you will find mixxed ages on all of Celebrities cruises.

Have a great time on whatever you decide.

Oct 31st, 2002, 08:52 PM
Andy

Sue- go over to www.cruise-addicts.com and click on cruise reviews on the Celebrity Century- there is a review on it from someone who just got off the ship=-=very good review....

Nov 1st, 2002, 06:58 AM
sue

Thanks all - thought I'd update you. Had decided on the cruise out of Baltimore and low and behold the first 3 sailings are BOOKED. Geez. I thought I was doing things early here! So hubby and I have booked Century out of Fort Lauderdale leaving 3/29 for Western Caribbean. Booked an inside cabin. Have airfare (roundtrip from Dulles nonstop on Jetblue for $413 for both of us!) and night before accomodations at Amerisuites. Did I do good guys and gals????

Thanks and happy cruising,

A very excited Sue!

Nov 1st, 2002, 07:27 AM
Cruiser

Sue, I think you will be very happy with Celebrity. There are many fun things to keep you busy, or you can find quiet areas easily if you want that. You won't find lots of lines to wait in either. There may be Spring Breakers in your sailing, though. Hopefully the rowdy ones will pick Carnival, etc.

Century has great service and a friendly staff that will go out of their way to help you.

I just returned from 2 weeks on the Century--E and W. I had a great time.The embarkation in FLL is the swiftest I have ever been through. I went from a hotel in FLL to ship on a shuttle. Left at 11:05 and was in my cabin at 11:35AM! Unbelievable--no lines at all (I am also in Captain's Club which helped some!!)

I hope to take the Galaxy out of Baltimore sometimes next year, too. It is closer to my home and the itinerary sounds good , too.

Best wishes on a great cruise. Be sure to write a review when you return!
Happy cruising!!

Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:51 AM
Sheila

We did the Century last March. I'm sure you will love it. I definitely suggest doing the Stingray Sandbar in Grand Cayman. It is a blast!!!!