Galaxy in December

Search

Galaxy in December

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galaxy in December

I'm holding a cruise in December on the Galaxy with bestpricecruises.com after searching tons of web sites.

Being that it is our first time on a cruise (husband and I, late twenties) I'm wondering a few things that I'm sure have been answered tons of times before. But after doing much searching, perhaps someone familiar with this specific ship can comment:

1) We are flying out of NY to San Juan, southern itinerary...price including air is $2200 (dec. 18-26 sailing...8 nights), good price for this ship, or is it because the ship is old and lacking?
2)It's Celebrity and we're hoping not so many kids running rampant even though it's Xmas...am I better on this ship than another?
3)Hurricane season in December? Have heard mixed on this.
4) While we don't mind not having the glitz and fanfare of Carnival and no rock wall like RCCL, does the ship still provide luxury, fitness, spa, etc. despite its "age"?

I know I can visit cruisecritic.com, etc. but have often relied on the advice of those on this board and trust it well so any input would be much appreciated, before I BOOK!!

Thanks in advance,
Rachel
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 01:03 PM

I can not help on all of your questions since I have never sailed on Celebrity but I will try to help the best I can.

The price could be a combination of the age of the ship(I am not familiar with it so I don't know how old it is or its appearence), the time of year, and the struggling tourist industry. I actually wouldn't let the cost of the cruise worry you too much.

Not sure how many kids will be on the ship. Can't really be of help there. I doubt it but once again, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

As far as Hurrican season, I thought that ends in November... perhaps I am incorrect? Check the weather channel web site... they may have info related to that there.

The following link will give you a bunch of info regarding the ship:

http://leisure.travelocity.com/Vacat...ITY_12,00.html

Hopefully it will help you out.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 09:05 AM

Rachel;
I can obviously only give you my opinion, but here it goes.

1) Price sounds good with air, but what category makes a big difference. Looking at the Celebrity and bestpricecruises.com (who are usually very competitive) websites, it looks like you are booking an inside cabin. Not that there is a problem with that, just that it makes a big impact on the price. Did you look at air on your own to see if you could do better?

The ship is not that old (1996) and is very nice with a lot of amenities.

2. I can't help you on this one, but I certainly appreciate your concern. I don't think Celebrity will be much different than the other lines with the exception of the luxury lines and Holland.

3. I agree with the last poster, think it ends in November.

4. Lots of bars and entertainment, great spa & fitness center, definitely upscale/luxury in comparison to Carnival (which is still a fine line, just different). Again 1996 is not an old ship. I sailed on the brand new NCL Dawn in January (like it's 5th cruise) and I would definitely take the Galaxy over the Dawn. Newer is not always better.

Sheila
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sheila for the great input.

Just to clarify we are holding a category 7 (bottom level but oceanview) cabin. Definitely wanted the window but after talking to many people they said honestly you don't feel more rocking toward the bottom, it's actually the top. However, people have a thing about being at the bottom of a ship, comparing it to days of old and being in "steerage," which is often why they opt for higher up.

Any thoughts on that?
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 07:08 AM

Rachel - You are right on about the cabin. Definitely less movement lower down, but there is still some people that look down on it. Since it is your first cruise, go with what makes you more comfortable from a physical comfort and a price level. Frankly, the Southern Carribean is typically calmer so you should have few problems. Think of those in exactly the same cabin as you but on higher decks as having overpaid. If you are talking about a better cabin (standard versus deluxe) that is different. The only thing that higher up standard cabins get you these days is closer to the pool or some of the lounges.

I don't think I mentioned this, but we are booked on the Galaxy in March. Hubby and I are in our mid 30's and have always found what we wanted on Celebrity ships whether it be a party or some private time.

I would still suggest you check out cruise critic as it can give you an idea about the type of people who cruise Celebrity and even the people who will be on the same cruise.

Sheila
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 11:53 AM

Rachel:

Before you book Celebrity, do check out the average age profile of those onboard--you may find it's higher then you would like. That said, on any large cruise ship you will be able to find plenty of people your own age.

The price sounds pretty reasonable--especially as you're getting into the holidays and it includes air. I suspect that a week earlier would be considerably less money, but that doesn't matter if it's not when you want to go.

Keep in mind that there's a good chance the price of the cruise wil dip in mid-August (4 months out) when deposits become non-refundable. I would suggest that you talk to the agent and make sure he or she is willing to get you refunds/credit/upgrades if the price does go down.

Otherwise, sounds, pretty good to me. It's less than I paid for a balcony on the Carnival Destiny over New Years two years ago.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to update you all who have been so helpful with your replies.

Turns out cheaptickets.com had a great deal, cruise came to $1558 and air to San Juan on Spirit was only $186pp round trip!!!!! So total for the xmas week came to $1977 (including air insurance if we cancel).

So psyched about this great fare and time of year! Thanks everyone for the great input.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 08:51 AM

Great!!! Now check out cruise critic, cruise mates, etc. to get a ton of info. Also on cruise critic (and maybe even Celebrity website directly) you can sign up for the cruise critic party. You don't have to go if you change your mind.

Sheila