Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Help with selecting a ship for parents 5-th anniversary cruise with family.

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary by taking th family on a cruise over New Years. My 40 year old brother and wife and 4 boys 3-12, My husband and I and our 18 and 19 yr old, my sister and kids24,23 and 13. Good food and lots to do advice or sggestions? We are an active group
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:47 AM
Intrepid

I'd like to know from the friendly TA above if Carnival has done anything to improve what I feel is one of the WORST safety records in the cruise industry and whether or not the TA commissiion from Carnival is HIGHER than for other cruise lines.
Personally, I think carnival is fine if you go for more low-brow activities such as the "wear your wife's lingerie" contest and the "pillow fight over the pool" thing...and you'll have ample opportunity to play Bingo, buy drinks, and shop in the "duty free" area because carnival will make certain you're constantly reminded of these things with their incessant PA system announcements.
Sorry to rant but I think you can do better than this.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:28 AM

I hear a lot of Carnival bashing on this thread and I simply do not agree.
Our experience on the Carnival Paradise was great. The midnight buffet was not good, but that was the least of our concerns. They had good 24-hour pizza, and the meals in the dining room exceeded our expectations. The entertainment was good. There was hardly any PA announcements (and when they did they were not loud or bothersome). We also did not see "drink hustling". The waiter simply walked by with an empty tray, and whoever wanted a drink would stop him. We did not see the so-called "trailer trash", drunks, or wild partiers. There were some children (we went in November), mostly 30-65 age couples. We loved the Carnival Paradise!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 08:23 AM

Bonnie,
With an age group such as that, I think you'll be fine on a large, new ship either Carnival or RCCL. Personally, we love the Voyager class ships and have booked our third. There are so many activities and the children's programs are outstanding. The Navigator had great facilities for the teens.There will be lots of children on Xmas/New Year- if you want to avoid chaos, go the week after!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:00 PM

I agree with travelhelper. Carnival would be best.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:07 AM

I would like to know how travelhelper is allowed to advertise their travel agency on this travel board? The rules on the home page state: "A civil tone and no advertising or commercial promotion are also requested." Come on Fodors - edit this person out. We want advice, not solicitation.

As to your question Bonnie - I wouldn't sail Carnival on a bet and I'm not in the minority. Search the subject here and on CruiseCritic and you'll see many more unhappy Carnival cruisers than any other line - and there's a reason for it. They aren't the fun ships for nothing - unfortunately its because they attract "party animals" and they like to stay up all night raising hell and keeping everyone else within earshot awake as well. If you're into that sort of thing - book Carnival. But make sure you have someone videotape your trip so you can see what you missed while you were so drunk you can't remember. I sure as hell wouldn't take my parents on one of their ships for their 50th wedding anniversary. Do other lines have trouble with the partiers? - yes, but not like Carnival. Again, don't take my word for it - search the subject. Go with the Voyager class RCCL ships - rock climbing, ice skating, full court basketball, mini-golf, inline skating, etc.

Peter

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 10:39 AM

Again, my personal opinion is I vouch for Carnival. Perhaps there are hordes of partiers during spring break, but we went in November, and that was not the case! Our ship had nice families and couples. Did not see any fights, drunks, or groups of rowdies!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 08:01 AM

Bonnie:

Carnival, RCI, or Princess would probably be your best bets, as they will have the best mix of ages.

Carnival seems to be Peter's one blind spot. He's usually right on about everything else, but his vision Carnival is pretty skewed. I've often been tempted to take up a collection to send him on a Carnvial ship. It might not change his opinion, but at least he could rail against the line with more authority.

Yes, there are people on Carnival who stay up late & party, but the bars are a long way from the cabins. On four trips on CCL in various classes of cabin I have NEVER been kept up by noise. The nice thing about Carnival for your group is that the younger members can stay up and party, while the older folks can turn in early if that's what they want to do.

Every time there's a thread on CruiseCritic asking people who have ACTUALLY SAILED BOTH LINES to compare the experiences, most of the responses rate them comparable in terms of food, service, and passenger demographics. Yes, there will be a few post preferring one or the other, but they're really pretty similar in most respects.

Where Carnival will usually come out ahead is on price--not for every sailing and every cabin category (compare sizes!), but more often than not. As sailing over New Years is the most expensive time to go, this may be a concern.

Princess has on older median age (40's vs. 30's for CCL & RCI) and might be a good compromise as well.

Cheers!
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:18 AM

My vote for such a diverse age group is Princess. Any ship that fits your schedule should do fine.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:57 PM

Although I haven't been on Carnival, I've sailed twice on the RCI 3 and 4 day cruises, and every Bubba on the world is on them. Why? Because it only costs $250! My husband calls them "boloney and cheese" cruises - they're great for a quick inexpensive getaway, but full of party animals. That said, if you opt for any cruise of 7 days, on a new gorgeous ship, I think you'll be just fine - whether it's Carnival, RCI, or any of the others. It comes down to price: the more expensive the cruise (comparing equal cabins), the less Bubbas you'll see!
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 11:06 PM

We were 3 generations on a cruise at Christmas. The Voyager of the Seas was recommended to us but in the end we chose the Grand Princess and were extremely pleased. The cabins were lovely (all of us had balconies), we were told ahead of time that you can ask for anything as they really want to make you happy. So we began with robes in our rooms, went on to hors d'oeuvres
at 5:00 p.m. every evening served on the balcony...baked alaska for dessert- no problem! Lobster - just ask. Latte with dinner? Of course. Everyone was wonderful. We loved the open seating programme, loved the art auctions, music non-stop, never saw my kids after dinner because they immediately met others in their age group and had a great time. Loved the private beach we stopped in first. Forgot to mention that the Grand Princess was actually a lot less expensive that the Voyager. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 09:42 AM

I agree with bonlu30. Princess is our favorite. Have sailed with them 11 times.They have lots of activities for all ages. The food and service are the best. And they are all very courteous.

Sailed on Carnival once, never again.
We enjoy sing-a-long bars but when we were on the Ecstacy a few years ago, girls were asked to sit on the revolving piano. When they did, they hiked their dresses up over their head.
Not our idea of a good time and we're not prudes!