First cruise blues

Aug 26th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

First cruise blues

I have read enough cruise reports to know that a long drawn out report on every minute of every day is boring to read so here is the quick and dirty on my cruise.

Spleandor of the seas Aug 4 out of Venice: We had an inside cabin but the people we were traveling with had a GS, so I spent most of my time there. Personally I wont book an inside room again. This ship is very pretty and very clean but I was bored most of the time. I am, 45, female, I dont gamble per say, a little slot action here and there so that part didnt interest me. There is a huge bar, The Top Hat, that I went into several times and nothing was going on... it surprised me that the Kereoke contests were held in the smaller bar. By the time our late dinner was over we couldnt find a seat, hmmm but Top Hat was massive and empty. Bad choice of venue in my opinion. We went to 2 shows. I enjoyed the strings show... 3 - 4 guys with really cool instruments doing some really cool stuff. The motown review, ehhh... so so. There was a huge BBQ on our day at sea but nothing about it was mentioned in the newsletter.. too bad, I hear it was great. Although the bean bag toss was mentioned ... ohh I ran to that.. The food wasnt bad at all but the open hours in Windjammers are very limited so you better eat while its open or its cold room service for you mister! There is the option of the solarium towards the stern, where they have burgers, hot dogs, pizza and french fries but if you want iced tea to go with it you need to carry your plate to the pool towards the bow to the only station where ice tea and coffee can be found.... ??? Really goofy set up. The dining room food in the evening was great, I have no complaints, well, one complaint. Basically they served the same food every single night, by the last night I was really sick of options. Of course the spinach salad, which I loved, was only offered 1 night. I have to say the service was great! Even though Royal is planning to move this ship to South America and to do so they were required to have people from that hemisphere on board so very few of the crew had even been off the ship in the ports we went to. In the CL, which we were able to enjoy because of the Grand suite booking, it was nice to have the drinks and snacks but the concierge was useless! Bless his heart, he was a sweet man, but as far as planning and helping on shore days, we were on our own. This was his first cruise to this area of the Med.. (ports included Dubrovnik, Kusadasi, Santorini and Corfu)

Im getting sarcastic here and thats not my intent. Basically, I found nothing to do but spend money and alot of it. I walked around the ship with my little newsletter looking for something to occupy my time and Im just glad I brought my book!

We have a family cruise booked for Aug 2008, western caribbean. Im really hoping it will be different.
Aug 26th, 2007, 11:30 AM

Well if the eastern Med. didn't do it for you I fear the Caribbean will be a huge let down. You didn't mention anything about the ports BTW. That is one of the great features about cruising. I do wonder if cruising is for you. Good luck.
Aug 26th, 2007, 05:35 PM

Hello...Just a note to let you know you were lucky to be allowed in the concierge lounge if you were in an inside stateroom and this was your first cruise with RCI. Beings friends with people in suites doesn't usually cut it. Usually no one but Diamond Members of Crown and Anchor, or Suite guests get to enter into the "inner sactum". So, count your lucky stars and stop being "blue"!

Helen
Aug 27th, 2007, 02:39 AM

About on shore days you were "on your own" - that is the idea. The cruise line offers many shore excursion options (I know you do not want to pay more since that was also one of your complaints). These usually adequately cover what there is to do on shore, although cruisers who plan ahead and/or are creative can often find less expensive and more interesting options on their own.

I was always under the impression that a ship concierge does the opposite of a hotel concierge - s/he is responsible for your comfort on board, not making arrangements for off board activities.

Cruising is for some and not for others. I think perhaps your expectations were different than general reality of a cruise - although I do take seriously your traffic flow and crowding observations.

Aug 27th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Bored? Wow....did you consider working out? Spa treatments? How about trivia contests, bingo, cooking demos, meet and mingle, pool games, newlywed show, etc. Did you dance or take dance lessons? If you loved the spinach salad, you should have asked for it. They will do that kind of thing for you. The more activities and things you try, the more fun a cruise is. I never thought I'd enjoy Bingo...I never do that....but it's a riot on a cruise. I even enjoyed the napkin folding and towel animal demos!
Aug 27th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Pretty funny Linda
Aug 29th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Rd

Bored on the Splendor? yep cruising is not for you. We did the Med last year on a 7 day Splendor cruise and we cannot wait to get back for a two weeker. I loved everything about it, all the time available sunning, reading, formal dinners give me more like staying in a hotel where the scenery changes all the time.
Aug 29th, 2007, 07:43 AM

I agree with the others that it sounds like cruising is not for you. Nothing wrong with that as it is most definitely not for everyone!

Re the concierges, there are the good, the great and the just ok. Our concierge on Serenade was very helpful for both on and off the ship arrangements. However, since you did not qualify for their services by booking an inside cabin, seems like you should not complain. The CL is for those that qualify and I am surprised you were allowed in at all. It is crowded enough with those that belong.
Aug 29th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Amen, kfusto!!

Helen
Aug 29th, 2007, 10:24 AM

If we can book on the AOS next summer (I hope so and we will get a balcony then am I correct in assuming we can also get into the CL? Also as a past passenger does one qualify as well?
Aug 29th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Hi jacketwatch...Depends on 1) How many cruise credits you have on RCI,( Celebrity will give you the same past passenger credits because they are a sister company to RCI), 2) Are you in a Grand Suite or above?

Hopefully, that is clear and if not--am sure others will chime in, or go to www.cruisecritic.com

Helen
Aug 29th, 2007, 12:30 PM

I don't often recommend cruises to my friends because some love it, some could take it or leave it, and some hate it. "Whatever floats your boat" is what I say. We like it because 1) it's a lazy way to travel - you don't have to think about where to eat, where to stay, etc.; 2) you can do as much or as little as you want; 3) the food is usually always good - some have been better than others - but always good; 4) the shows are usually good if that's what you like - if not, don't go; 5) we're not big on gambling either, but I somewhat enjoy watching others win or lose; 6) my kids like it - they're big enough to go their own way without having us supervise; 7) you get to see some pretty nice places (beautiful beaches in the Caribbean); and 8) I could lay on a lounge chair with an ocean view all day long. That's me, though. Others are different.
Aug 29th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Larry, only the true Suites (Royal, Owners, Grand) get CL access as well as Diamond Level and above. On some ships, there is a separate Diamond Lounge to avoid the crowding issues in the CL.

These days they are getting stricter, IME, requiring on most ships that all guest be Diamond or above. It used to be that those sharing a cabin with Diamond guest could use the CL but no longer.

As with all things, enforcement is random but the crowding issue is being addressed because it has to be.

Also, no one under 21 after 5pm.

Aug 29th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Thanks guys!