Emerald Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruise: shore excursions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2009, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there safe places to leave one's valuables while swimming? Also, is there anything you would strongly recommend including or excluding?

Thank you.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 07:54 AM

Lock them in the safe in your room. Mine was in the closet on the Emerald check it out.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, but I was specifically interested in what one does while on shore>
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 03:45 AM

We don't take anything valuable when we go to a beach. We take about $20 to maybe $50 cash to pay a cabbie or buy a souvenir, one credit card and a throw-a-way camera. The cash is in a pocket in the shorts which we wear to the beach. The shorts are folded in our beach bag.
Jamaica is the only place we were concerned about and a couple from the ship kept an eye on our stuff and we theirs. Find some one with a ship's towel, sit near them and ask them to keep an eye on your stuff.
We are beach/snorkelers and have never had a problem. We live AT the NC beach but always go to a beach on a cruise and have been on more than 50 cruises since the mid 80's!
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 01:11 PM

If you go with a tour (shore excursion), the comapny are reputable and the staff will leave your stuff alone if you keep it in their bus, boat etc.

I carry a small ziplock water proof bag and tug it in an inside pocket in the swim trunk. What's in the bag is the cruise card, a photo ID (not a driver license and I use my fire arm license instead just in case I lost it) some cash and that's it. If you want to swim, don't carry a camera.

If you must have a camera, then people have to take turn keeping an eye on it. You can buy a cheap waterproof camera for around $100 these days so swim with it if you must have a camera.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 08:17 AM

The FUGI underwater camera cost UNDER $10 , has 800 ASA and takes VERY good picutes. Kodak is the same price but I like Fugi better! You can just take regular photos also, they don't have to be underwater.
I now have an Olympus digital camera I use underwater -it is made for that. And, like the Fugi, I wear it tightened on my wrist all the time in the water and when we're ashore - and often on the ship too. Just like I did with the FUGI but the underwater FUGI & Kodak cameras float!