Need to pack beach towels for a cruise?

Aug 16th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Need to pack beach towels for a cruise?

A silly question, I admit, but we will be going on our first cruise in December and may visit beaches on some islands. We are a family of four and would like to travel with carry on bags only, in order to avoid lost luggage problems. Four beach towels will take quiet a lot of space, so we would like to leave them home unless they are really necessary. Is it accepted practice to take towels from the ship or we have to have our own?

Also, besides a couple of fancy outfits for the formal evenings, is there anything else that one should pack for a cruise besides the usual things that we take for a beach vacation?

Thanks for your help.
Aug 16th, 2007, 05:27 PM

You don't mention the cruise line, but on all the cruises we have been on, there is a place to check out towels as you leave the ship for shore excursions. You give them your state room number they record it, then you turn the towels back in upon your return. You are right 4 towels would take up a lot space. I would not bring them.

I think a few fancy outfits is fine. Depends again on the cruise line. Most are pretty casual these days. Bring along tylenol, or whatever you use for those items are very $$$ in the little stores. Sunscreen, you know the usual. Have a great time.

Aug 17th, 2007, 03:54 AM

Gina, go over to cruisecritic for lots of info. There is an active family cruising board there as well as boards specific to your cruise line.

I pack very differently for a cruise than a beach vacation. Dinner is a more formal affair on some lines, but not all. And depending on what you plan to do on ship, clothes will be different. For instance, if you are on RCI and want to ice skate, you should pack a pair of jeans/long pants. That is not something I pack for a beach vacation.
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the helpful information.
Aug 18th, 2007, 05:48 AM
KVR

We were on Princess in April. Beach towels were placed in our closet by the room steward before every port. Upon returning to the ship, there was a huge basket to place the towels in for return. We loved there was no towel card to keep up with or having to check them in and out.

Definatley bring some type of seasick/nausa medication. We had a forward cabin and our room rocked and rolled the entire week.

Lots and lots of available money on your credit card. Our on board ship account was "ouch". That's why we love all inclusive resorts.