Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

What ONE thing do you wish you had brought on your last cruise?

Sep 15th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Leaving for the Istanbuhl/Athens cruise on Windstar in a week and a half... wondered what you seasoned travelers wish you had packed - or did pack and were glad you did!
Sep 15th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Okay - TWO things!
Anything?
I am packing and I know there is something I am missing!
Sep 15th, 2009, 02:45 PM

Batteries and another memory card for my camera.
Sep 15th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Great! I hadn't thought of that!
Sep 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM

Binoculars!!
Sep 15th, 2009, 04:41 PM

A little nightlight to plug in bathroom. Its very dark on the ocean at night!
Sep 15th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Keep them coming - I love it! I have two sets of binoculars and one is going in the bag now. Nightlight, too!
Sep 15th, 2009, 06:36 PM

We usually take a soft duffel or something similar in the bottom of our suitcase to bring dirty clothes home in--then we have room for the "treasures" we buy on the trip. We often take walkie talkies on cruises too.
Sep 16th, 2009, 03:41 AM

tote umbrella just in case
ziplock bags
Sep 16th, 2009, 04:00 AM

Some small thing to carry cruisecard in when walking around ship - small purse, etc.

Socks for sleeping since my feet are always freezing in cold cabin air (since DH sets thermostat at refrigeration level)
Sep 16th, 2009, 04:44 AM

T69: great idea. I think we'll do that too.
Sep 16th, 2009, 06:24 AM

For more ideas, see the detailed packing lists on the AllThingsCruise.com site:

http://allthingscruise.com/cruise-pr...r-your-cruise/
Sep 16th, 2009, 08:53 AM

I brought 2 highlighters (different color) so my husband and I can each highlight our own events, and the daily schedules don't get mixed up.
Sep 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Regarding a small 'card carrier' -- what my wife and I use are lanyard attached identity things we got at various conferences. They are excellent as travel papers handlers (just large enough for our passports and tickets (and cruise ID) cards. Not the sort of thing one uses on shore (a bit too easy to get swiped away), but excellent in going thru airports.
Sep 16th, 2009, 02:38 PM

I don’t know how large your cabin is on Windstar, but what we found useful was an over-the-door shoe holder with several pockets. You can use it to store your toiletries, brushes/combs, sunscreen lotion, etc. and keep the sink area clear. They are very inexpensive in stores like Walmart or Target, but you can also pick one up at the Dollar Stores. I found the Dollar Store ones smaller, which was fine since I didn’t need a 24-pocket size.

Bring a stickie note pad to leave notes for your spouse or steward.

Wrap some duct tape around a pencil so you can have some for emergency repairs without having to bring the whole roll.

Extension cord with several outlets for charging cell phones, cameras, and other electronics.

Electrical adapter, if necessary, for overseas use.

Unless you have your sea legs, bring something for motion sickness. Some cruise ships supply it on board, but I don’t know about Windstar. I found ginger tablets worked fine for me when I felt a bit queasy.

If you take any prescription medicines, be sure to carry them onboard with you. If any luggage is misplaced, you will at least have your medicines.

Enjoy your cruise.
Sep 16th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Great ideas - ingenious!
Sep 16th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Some Scotch tape,zip lock bags in assorted sizes,and a plastic clip in case the drapes don"t close all the way.I also never travel without my tiny light up alarm clock and a small flashlight
Have a great time!
Sep 17th, 2009, 08:41 AM

Another thing I've learned here on Fodor's: pack one swimsuit in carry-on, so if your suitcase is not delivered till after dinner, you can still enjoy the pool.

And somewhere else I read this advise: pack more then one swimsuit going to warmer places, so you always have a dry one.
Sep 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM

Another question is: what did you take that you did not need?
With the airlines punitive about charging for overweight and extra bags, it pays to think very carefully about what you take. Consider: dress clothes - how much do you really need;
guide books - take as few as possible, and small ones if possible (you will not be anywhere long enough to need a comprensive guide; other clothes - where some things more than one day. Also be a miser at shopping time - it adds up and piles up fast in your luggage. On a cruise you won't notice all the extras until the last day.
Sep 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM

"guide books - take as few as possible, and small ones if possible" - papers are heavy!

I can take copies at work, so I copy/shrink/enlarge what I need, and take 2-sided copies, combine by port. Once we sail away, the page(s) is(are) tossed.

To take copies and pay for them adds up. To save, use AAA booklets when possible, rip them apart, take only what's needed. They are free.

Or just get info off the Internet, copy/paste in Words, shrink the text if possible, and print. Put back in the printer, print a map on the other side.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO