Did it! Booked!

Dec 2nd, 2017, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Did it! Booked!

Made the decision. Thank you for opinions and suggestions.
We booked Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas for March 11, on a Southern Caribbean itinerary.

We have taken DD and GD only on really big ships before, Norwegian Epic, MSC Divina, Regal Princess. We went to the shows and mostly to beaches. We had planned on Adventure of the Seas this year, as GD is tall enough for the water slides, ice skating, etc. and they have a great kids program.

At the last minute, we decided on a much smaller ship, JOS. It has the same itinerary as the AOS and that was our main interest this cruise, to be off the ship every day sight seeing or having an adventure, so we did not need all the shows and things to do. Also, even though it has less for GD to do, we could afford mid-ship balconies on a good deck, and she finds that exciting. She was too small before.

We have been to some of these places before, but it was a long time ago, so any suggestions for things to see or do, good taxi drivers, beaches, restaurants, tours, etc. are appreciated.
My other DD lives on St Kitts, so we will go to her house for part of the day, but there are still things she might not think of for GD.

San Juan
Antigua
St Kitts
St Thomas
St Lucia
Barbados
Dec 2nd, 2017, 04:15 PM

Sassafrass, that is a great itinerary. I like smaller ships. My next cruise is not until December 2018, New Years on Carnival Breeze.
I know you will have a great time. Yeah for your granddaughter being able to get on the slides, ice skate etc.
I haven't been to St. Kitts or Antigua, so I will be waiting to read you trip report.
Dec 3rd, 2017, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Tch912,

New Years on a ship will be so much fun and something to really look forward to. Breeze looks like a fun ship too. I would like to do Christmas or New Years on a cruise someday.
Dec 4th, 2017, 12:50 PM

Glad you made your choice, great itinerary too,
Dec 4th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

I was conflicted, but having a balcony tipped in favor of the smaller ship.

DH and I were on an even smaller ship, RCCL Majesty of the Seas, a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Most of the crew had been on the ship a long time and service was good. The shows were better than we expected. One thing DH liked was getting on and off the ship was faster.

I am just happy to actually make a firm decision this far out for a change. It would still be great to have any recommendations for the best activities or taxi drivers, etc. I will start to seriously research that right after Christmas.
Dec 5th, 2017, 07:23 AM

Sassafrass here are my few recommendations:
St. Lucia, taxi driver, Owin Antoine, Off the Beaten Path.Tell him Brenda from Maryland sent you.

San Juan, just stay in port because there is so much to see and do, Bacardi Rum tour is near the cruise ship dock, but you will need to take the ferry.

There is a lot to see and do in St. Thomas, go to Charlotte Amalie, the diamond shopping is great. Megan Bay is very beautiful.

Barbados have Harrison cave, their beaches are just OK.
Sorry, I can't give you information because I haven't been to the other islands.
Dec 5th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I will definitely call the taxi driver, Owin. Do you have an email address or phone number for him? Is Off the Beaten Path his company? What did you do on the tour with him?

Not shopping for diamonds, LOL. Think we will go to Megan Bay this time.

Would an eight year old like Harrison Cave?
Dec 5th, 2017, 10:38 AM

http://www.tourguidegordon.com

We used this guide in Antigua and I highly recommend him.

I do think an 8 yr old would like Harrison’s cave. It’s pretty cool.
Dec 5th, 2017, 10:42 AM

http://spencerambrose.com

We hired this guy in St. Lucia and he was great so I also recommend him.
Dec 5th, 2017, 06:05 PM

I agree with jacketwatch, your GD will enjoy Harrison Caves. Owin's website is otbptaxiservice.net.
My friends and I befriended him when we went to St. Lucia and we talk by phone and messenger.
Dec 5th, 2017, 06:09 PM

Sorry, the website is otbpservices.net.
Dec 7th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the taxi and tour REC's.
I have looked at tons of tours and things to do. Many are terribly expensive if we all go. We may send only our daughter and granddaughter on excursions.

Harrison's cave is on the list.

Daughter and Granddaughter both love beaches. Which beaches are best for just hiring a taxi to take us to a beach for a few hours and pick us back up to return to port and perhaps give a short tour on the way back?

Our Granddaughter loves water, snorkeling, animals, gardens and eating, does not mind walking or shopping, likes planes, boats and trains, but hates being in a car.

What did you do or see in St Lucia? Barbados? Antigua?
What was your favorite?
What do you think would be best for an 8 year old?
If we split up, what is best for a 50 year old?
Was there anything you did not enjoy?