Paul Gaughan was Sold!

Sep 25th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Paul Gaughan was Sold!

I copied and pasted the following very sad news...anyone planning to cruise on the PG better do it within the next year!

The PAUL GAUGUIN has been sold to Grand Circle, Vantage Deluxe. The ship will stay in French Polynesia through 2005 and continue to be managed by RSSC. The ship will carry both RSSC and Grand Circle/Vantage Deluxe World Travel passengers.

In 2006 the ship will officially leave the management of RSSC, and be operated, managed, staffed, and marketed by Grand Circle/Vantage. The ship will then cruise on itineraries to South America, Europe, and the Baltic's, and Antarctica. I would imagine at that point her name will be changed as well.

It's interesting to note that PAUL GAUGUIN was not owned by RSSC, but only managed by them. The actual owners up until today were called Center Group Holdings, a subsidiary of the Zurich Insurance Group.

The purchase price of the ship was undisclosed.
Sep 25th, 2004, 06:04 PM

Petlover, I am curious how you found out about this since I am interested in sailing on this ship sometime late next year.
Sep 26th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

I've read it on several sites. I copied and pasted this from www.cruiscritic.com (Radisson). I've never had the pleasure of sailing on the PG but everyone raves about the itinerary, the "smallness" of the ship and the overall wonderful experience!! I believe (?) Windstar may still be in the FP but their ship doesn't have balconies! Hopefully, Radisson will have a replacement...maybe the Diamond, Mariner or Navigator at least part of the year. The Diamond might work as it also has the platform that lowers for the watersports like the PG.

Thank goodness the PG will be in FP at least through 2005!
Sep 26th, 2004, 06:52 PM

I was just in FP and saw both of these ships, plus the Polynesian Princess. No, I wasn't on a cruise. The ships just happened to cruise in and out of places I was visiting.

The Windstar ship looked awesome. I made a verbal note (I was video taping) that I wanted to investigate that ship as I was taping it on my camera.

I don't particularly care for the idea that FP cruises stay in Tahiti for more than just the day of embarkation. Ships were in Tahiti for a couple of days, at least. I didn't like Tahiti (Papeete) at all!!

I had heard and read so much about the Paul Gauguins but didn't think it looked anymore appealing than the Princess ship berthed next to it.

Now, the Windstar ship (even withOUT balconies) looked very enticing!

Just my humble but honest opinion.
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:21 AM

We are on the Oct 23rd sailing and was told by Radisson that is was only sailing with 1/2 of the expected guests - I guess that is why they are selling it ! Sorry to say but we were told that Windstar is finishing this year in Tahiti and then pulling out - must not be a good place for cruising !! Hope we enjoy it !!
Sep 27th, 2004, 01:25 PM

The PG is actually on lease to Radisson and it is the owner that decided to sell NOT Radisson. Every indication is that Radisson will have another ship there (I hope it's the Diamond since it has the watersports platform).

The week on the PG is far and away the best experience I've ever had on any cruise. The ship itself is fine but not the best IMO (cabins are not as large as the rest of the fleet) but it does have the balconies (IMO a MUST for anyone in the FP islands) and the watersports platform (ALSO a MUST since so much of the activities are water related). The PG has outstanding food and a great overall laid back atmosphere.

I've heard of the Tahitian Princess...is that the ship you meant Simpson510? I know the Tahitian Princess is double the passengers capacity as PG (Not good)...not sure if they have the waterplatform or not?

After hearing about the loss of PG, we are cancelling a '05 European cruise and booking a back to back on the PG instead. It really is that great an experience.

Hopefully, this change may prove to be a good thing depending upon what ship Radisson brings in (hopefully the Diamond).
Sep 28th, 2004, 11:55 AM

Since some of you guys have been on the PG - I'm curious as to how "casual" the dress really is ?? Is there a "captain's dinner" and how do most of the women dress ? Do the guys really wear jackets/no ties ?? Thanks for your help.
Sep 29th, 2004, 08:29 AM

On our PG cruise every night was country club casual. Woman wore cropped pants and sun dresses, every night I wore sandals. The men just had collared shirts but no jackets. There was never anything resembling a formal night.
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:01 AM

The Wind Star may look awesome, but it doesn't compare to the Paul Gauguin. I have been on this ship twice, and I love it for the service and the food; for the complimentary wine, soft drinks and bottled water; for the no-tipping policy; for the beautiful Gauguines - the trio of women who play the ukulele and sing traditional songs in the Dining Room; for the generous public areas, where one never has trouble finding a quiet deck chair. The whole cruise is one of the best cruising experiences I have ever had.
On Windstar, the cabins are very small, the public areas are tiny, and you will be "nickled and dimed" to death.
The Tahitian Princess used to be the one of the R ships ofr defunct Renaissance. It is about the size ad the Paul gauguin and carries three times the passengers, Figure it out.

Anyone with an interest in cruising in French Polynesia should make their reservations on the Paul Gaugin ASAP . . . before things change!