Cruising while Black (issues?)

Feb 25th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Cruising while Black (issues?)

I am excited to travel to far away places. I am in my mid 20s and up to recently I have never left my home State of Minnesota. I grew up in a lower middle class neighborhood and my parents always struggled to make it financially.

Now I finally am on my own and can travel to fun far away Cities and places.

How about cruising? Will I find a good number of other African Americans on the cruises leaving out of Miami? Will I be treated with respect?

Any African American Cruisers?

I am looking for honesty not political correctness.
Feb 25th, 2008, 01:43 PM

I have a number of co-workers who are black and they and their kids, including some teenagers, cruise nearly every year. I don't think they would be repeat cruisers if they did not feel comfortable. They go out of Miami some but other Gulf Coast ports, also. And they come full of stories about how fun it all was.
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:06 AM

I have had some (not that many) African Americans while cruising.
As far as I know no problems at all, they had as much fun as everybody else.
So GO and enjoy yourself!!!
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:12 AM

I'm a black female and have been cruising with family and/or friends for the past 10 years. I've had great experiences. Not many other black folks on regular cruises but still enjoyable. In my personal experience, if the ships crew is american, stay clear. Other options, black cruises - check out festivalatsea.com - its FANTASTIC. Enjoy your travels!!!
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:38 PM

Many black (and white too) Bermudians are serious cruisers - well, I mean they cruise a LOT!!

Every time we cruised in Caribbean we bump into fellow Bermudians on ship (last cruise there were 2 lots).

Two of my black office collegues are going on cruises this summer - one transatlantic and one Baltic!

There are only 65,000 people on this island (65% black) and the locals' most popular vacation is cruising.
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:16 PM

Well u definitely need to get out there and explore the world. If u leave out of miami u will quickly realize that absolutely anything goes their. It is problably one of the funnest cities in the country. As far a cruise concerned there are people there from all walks of life. You meet people from many different countries. The people working on the cruise lines are always friendly and professional. Dont be afraid to experience different places, youll be glad u did.