Search

Thinking about a cruise

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about a cruise

Hi

I'm a bit fascinated by the huge cruise ships and I would love to try out this kind of vacation one day. My wife is still skeptical as she feels that it is only "old people" that goes on a cruise I have also been trying to convince my sister and her family that this would be a good idea but they are not really into the traveling thing...but to get the process started I showed the kinds of the family some of the ships (on the cruise companies homepages) and they were of course thrilled to see that there are pools, surf waves, ice rinks etc

I think it would be good to take a cruise out of Miami as it would be easier (and cheaper) to get there from Norway and we could also combine the cruise with a few days in Miami/Orlando etc. I have been looking at the Freedom class ships of http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ as they look huge and have lots of activities. I guess as a Norwegian I should also evaluate http://www.ncl.com/ But which cruise company has the most impressive ships with the most activities...or is it a matter of "same same but different"?

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:05 AM

Gard, it is my opinion that RCI is the king of the big ships. I have been on both Freedom and Liberty and would say that you will have far more families aboard than old people; the ships are kid magnets and totally designed for family vacations.

cruisecritic.com has a family cruising board that contains lots of info as well as a very active RCI board.

As for NCL, their new ships are glitzy and big and their claim to fame is "Freestyle", meaning less regimentation for dining. Still lots of activities and food choices, more so than RCI.

For all practical purposes they are indeed the same but different. In my experience (114 total cruises over 41 years years, 50 on RCI), I think RCI delivers a better allover product than NCL these days.

RCI's big ships are beautiful and well designed. While not my idea of a fun vacation - I like my ships smaller and more personal and avoid kids and families when travelling as much as possible - they are a great choice for families looking for a casual, activity rich vacation with good to average food and friendly service.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Gard,

By all means try a cruise. Families seem to really enjoy cruising and there is usually something for everybody as in food choices, and activities. I would without hesitation keep with RC. The quality is better than NCL. The Pearl which is NCL's newer ship does has a bowling alley which is a first. It does leave out of Miami and my husband and myself enoyed that ship and cruise. I would consider that ship. They even have a 5 day which is a great sampler. That is the only NCL I would try as it is fairly new. Other than that RC is better so I feel.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 07:15 AM

It sure won't hurt to try. Actually if you cruise out of FLA. then you will going to the Caribbean or Mexico which attracts a younger clientele vs. say an Alaskan cruise. Do go to cruise critic to get expensive passenger reviews and compare ships. It does help. Have fun and I hope you try cruising. Cheers, Larry
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 07:39 AM

Oops. I meant "EXTENSIVE" NOT "EXPENSIVE." The reviws are free.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 08:25 AM

You can also check out specific info on various ships at www.cruisereviews.com