Carnival's reputation

Search

Carnival's reputation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carnival's reputation

Ya know, Carnival seems to have a "spring break" reputation. I was speaking with some folks about my plans next year for cruising the Southern Caribbean. Someone told me that they did not like Carnival. I asked what happened when she cruised with them, and she indicated she had not. I asked, so tell me again why you don't like Carnival?

She went on to say that it is too much like a party and she's heard that guys are in the hallways rolling dice. I started laughing out loud while we were having lunch in a VERY NICE restaurant! I thought I was sterotyped as a minority...BUT DANG. I guess everyone and everything can be stereotyped. I tell you, this is hilarious to me

WOW, it never amazes me how easily people are influenced by what they hear and read. I guess that's what gives the media so much power...hmmm (but I digress).

Know that I have been on several cruises, various lines, and had a wonderful experience each time. I have a TA that has my trust. While he could sell me more upscale cruises, he gives honest advice about the line, individual ships, ports, and service. He specializes in cruises. I really value his opinion as he has yet to steer me wrong.

So, what other rumors have you heard about Carnival or other cruise lines?
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 11:57 AM

We were on Carnival's Fantasy years ago. We Went a second time on her because I wrote a nice nasty letter about our cruise and were given 25% off if we went again. We did. Then went on Paradise for New Year's's Eve (It was non smoking then) then Imagination for some reason twice. We swore we would NEVER go on Carnival again after these cruises.It just wasn't fun or like our other cruises. Then we found a price like $399, 8 days on the Carnival Legend. Well, we could not pass that up so we went. What a DIFFERENCE to other Carnival cruises we had taken! WE enjoyed this cruise and ship so much we booked her for New Year's Eve! Much to our surprise, Bob Dickerson and his family were aboard for this cruise. He is the CEO and president of Carnival Cruise Lines and he chose the Legend for this cruise with his family. This year we've been on both the Glory and Valor and enjoyed both. There is maybe a problem with ANY short cruise. You get a LOT more younger passengers because they can't afford a 7 day cruise. They want to party and they do. You'll find a nice big difference on the newer 7+ days cruises on Carnival!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:49 AM

I have been on Carnival 3 x, most recently on Glory in May, 2005.

It is not my cup of tea. The decor is big on color, neon and plastic. The food was heavy on the salts and fats. The ships were all smoky but Glory was the worst. It was extremely crowded as well. Kids were in the pools with diapers on, against CDC regs.

The dress code is widely ignored IME and I find it way too casual for my taste. It was a loud cruise (announcements all over (even in the dining room), passengers, dancing and silly antics at dinner. I found it tacky.

I can only speak from personal experience but I would not cruise with Carnival again.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:02 AM

In 2005, after going on other lines for 12 years, we booked the Carnival Glory for Feb. I was wonderful, no complaints at all.

We then booked the Legend for Nov. '05 and were equally pleased.

The time of the year, while the younger crowd was at school or work, makes a big difference. We would not go whenit was holidays and/or summer.

You can't beat the prices of the balconies either.!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Suerich68

Carnival's "funship" reputation (and their advertising doing nothing to change that perception)leads one to believe that these are "party" ships. Fine if that's what you like. I don't believe that price should solely lead you to a cruise or cruiseline, although to many posters here, price seems to be the leading factor. I would prefer to cruise less frequently, and enjoy the aspects of a cruise that are important to me - fellow passengers; good quality food; itinerary; dress code adherence, etc.

If people are influenced by what they hear or read, in the case of Carnival, it is well-deserved.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:47 AM

A friend and I did a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise on (I believe) the Fanasty. I think this ship is now doing the shorter cruises..or maybe they junked. It was a miserable week..one toilet on the pool deck that was stopped up and overflowing by early afternoon, service awful, food really barfy, officers would pass or ride the elevator with us and just look straight ahead, not even a hello (they probably had so many complaints they were trying to be invisible). We had a real party group in the cabin next to us. We had to call two or three times a night (usually 3 or 4am) to complain with no results. On the plus side, our cabin was spotles and very nice. We did this cruise cause it was really cheap and found out why!

I've read really good things about Carnival's newer ships.

If you notice, it seems every cruise line uses their oldest ships for 3 & 4 day cruises.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Suerich68

So again, I repeat, you get what you pay for.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:33 AM

The best short cruise is RCCL's Enchantment. Done it twice, it's the only one I would ever consider for short cruise.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:41 AM

IMHO reputation can outlast reality. When Carnival began decades ago I think their reputation took root. However they have improved greatly since then. Unfortunately reputation tends to hang on. If you look on cruise critic you will see the CCL ships rated as an average in the mid 4's. X's ratings are in the mid to high 4's so there is some difference to be sure however the numbers don't show that vast a difference at all. I suspect the ratings will improve as the newer ships they are building come into service and perhaps some of the older ones that seem to be troublesome get phased out. Some love them, some hate them and I think that will not change any time soon. However they are clearly a success from a business POV so they must be doing something right. JM2C.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:40 PM

So funny: After my first Carnival cruise (Oct. '95 7-night West. Carib.),I filled out the comment card & circled everything "exceeded my expectations."

I, too, had heard such bad things about "the party boats" that I was not really expecting much. Instead, we got great food, smiling service, and a beautiful ship. And it was a lot of fun, as well...