Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Snorkeling in Belize or Cozumel port of call?

Feb 20th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Which has better snorkeling? I have read mixed reviews and would like to choose the best excursion for our ports of call. Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
k
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM

There are lots of places in Cozumel to snorkle. You can get a cab and go to Chankanaub, a national park. There is a reef just off shore. The beach is big and you can get food and drinks on the beach. They also have a swim with the dolphins which is fun to watch - someday I want to do it. There is an entrance fee, think its now [email protected] You should be able to find Chankanaub on line for more info.
In Belze you have a long tender ride into Belize City. There are no beaches here. You can get a water taxi and go to one of the islands. We went to one, think it was Cauker Caye or something like that. It was closest island. Snorkling was supposed to be good but we saw maybe 4 fish! Go to Ambergus Caye. Look for this on the net. They have a LOT of snorkling and water things to do. The water taxies run on a regular schedule but make sure you allow enough time to get back to the city before last tender to the ship. We've been to Belize 5 times. Our favorite excursion was cave tubbing with Reggie. Ship has tour going here but they have 30-40 people, we had 7! And ships wanted $85-$98 for SAME tour, Same caves, Same amount of time! We paid [email protected] Sorry can't say more about Ambergus Caye, never been there but hear its very good snorkling.
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:22 AM

We have been to Chankanaub twice and loved it. Great palce!
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:08 AM

By far the better snorkling is in Belize. I have snorkled many times in the Caribbean and in NO WAY is any of the shore snorkling out of Cozumel "good".

For clairfication on the cave tubing, Reggie also runs tours longer than ship tours, going through two cave systems. Most ship tours only go through one.
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:39 PM
LN

Sorry but we just came from Belize this month and snorkeling was NOT anything to write home about.

No one aboard our ship was pleased with the snorkeling in Belize.
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:49 AM

But where did you snorkle- with a ship excursion??? First mistake. I always go out independent and always have superior trips. I snorkle all over the Caribbean, Hawaii and Bermuda. Belize is an excellent area.