Cruise with family

Mar 18th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Cruise with family

Hi! I am planning to go on cruise with my family this may,but we never been on one. We live in Calgary. I am wondering if someone could give as some tips where to go and when is the best time to travel ,so we will not end up in hurricane. I take all tips about cruising ,so please write. Thanks
Mar 18th, 2009, 07:38 PM

Hurricane season in the Caribbean, if that's where you want to go, is June through November.

I'd recommend browsing the boards at www.cruisecritic.com--there are cruise line specific boards, ones for each port, and lots of general information.
Mar 19th, 2009, 03:15 AM

Remember though that if a hurricane is around, the ship will go to ports away from it. Once a ship came into Nassau that was supposed to be in Cozumal. There was a storm - don't remember if it was a hurricane- so instead of cruising the Western Caribean the ship came to the Eastern Caribean. All ships will do this. They certainly do not want to be in or near a huricane so will cruise away from any long before it gets near to them!
Do go to cruisecrtic.com and sign up with them. They do not sell your address and you can ask questions there and get great answers! You can also go to each cruise line's site for lots of info and go to any travel agency and get catalogues for each line. They are free and you don't have to book a cruise with that agency. Then you can compare itineries/ports and see floor plans for eaxh ship.
Mar 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM

If you are in Calgary, your first summer cruise should be to Alaska, via Vancouver; and your first winter cruise should be the Mexican Riviera via California. Do the 7 days and not the "costal cruise" whch are repositioning and do nothing.
Airfare should be reasonable to the ports from where you are, and on air time is minimal.
For May, Alsaka is a bit cool so Mexican Riveria maybe a good bet.
Mar 21st, 2009, 02:42 PM

Well, where do you want to go? This is the Question you should think about.

You live in a place that is cold, so do you want your vacation to be cold also. Alaska is cold, but it is beautiful. I say this because my family lives in Florida and we want to go somewhere cold for our summer vacation, so we are always heading up north or to Alaska.

The Caribbean has Hurricanes, I live in South Florida and have been though many of them. I have also been on many cruise where we had to divert to another location. It is really not a big deal. Cruise almost never cancel because it would cost them thousands of dollars to do so, so they steer well away from the storm. Also Hurricanes are usually slow moving storms. When one is discovered it can take a week to reach land, and it can move a ton of different ways also. So do not be scared of Hurricanes. The Season is June through November, but most storms come in late July and August.

Email me if you want to talk more about it. [email protected]