May cruise ideas?

Search

May cruise ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May cruise ideas?

I have not gone on my honeymoon yet and was thinking of going on a cruise (so that there is less traveling and hassle). We were thinking of going at the end of may and wanted to know if anyone has any ideas or deals that they know of.
We were thinking of middle east or asia but know that the flight there is usually the same amount as the cruise itself.
I am new to this forum so i hope i get some good info!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 12:34 PM

A cruise can be a good way to spend your time.

Unfortunately, Royal Caribbean hasn't yet started their itineraries in Dubai. If you want to go somewhere more exotic, then take a look at Eastern Med cruise itineraries that go to Greece, Turkey, and perhaps Israel or Egypt. If you can afford it, Ocenia has some nice and interesting itineraries around that time (I can't remember specific months or ports though). I prefer these smaller ships over the big behemoths. For a step up in price, Silversea is great, and I know they have cruises in this region during May. Crystal also does as well.

These are kind of expensive cruises, so if you don't want to spend that kind of money, look at the mainstream lines. All cruise in the eastern Med.

Another intresting itinerary is in the Baltic. NCL has a cruise that leaves from Harwich and goes to St. Petersburg. It might be chilly in May, but it's a nice itinerary.

Or you could take the Hurtigruten line up the Norwegian coast from Bergen or Oslo. There's also a nice train ride from Oslo to Bergen if you wanted to do that.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 12:50 PM

There are some good deals on the repositioning cruise on HAL for the Rotterdam. It acutally leaves on the 16th of May and they are offering 15 and 27 day itinerary leaving from New York and doing most of the Med ports depending on the length you choose.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 03:24 PM

We took HAL's cruise to Greece, Turkey, Greek Islands, etc. We left from Venice. The airfare was not horrible, and the cruise was wonderful - somewhat exotic. I just received a brochure fro HAL and the same cruise is one half last years price. A great deal.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 04:48 PM

Alaska!!!

I love Alaska it is amazing if you have never seen it. And May is the start of Alaska season (May thought Sept).

There are two type of Alaskan Cruises. Round Trip and one way.

Round Trip is From Vancouver or Seattle up though Alaska and back.

One Way (North or South bound) runs the up and down Alaska from Anchorage to Vancouver or Seattle.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for your responses, hopefully we will be able to pick a destination based on all of your suggestions!

One more request... My husband and I are extremely adventurous and would like to make the most out of our trip, would anyone be able to recommend a more specific cruise line/cruse destination that is adventurous?

Also, do the smaller cruises offer kosher food? And if anyone has had kosher meals on a large cruise, is it decent?
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:10 AM

Few of the smaller cruise ships will be able to accommodate a kosher diet, though I guess it depends on how strict you are. If you are looking to avoid pork, shell fish, meat with milk, etc. then no problem. If you are looking for a real kosher meal, then absolutely not. I'm sure some of the larger lines can accommodate special requests more easily, but I'd speak directly to the cruise line before making a commitment.

As far as adventurous cruise lines, Royal Caribbean tends to have a wider range of more adventurous excurions. If you head out on your own, then you're definitely going to find more adventure away from the cuise ship hordes.

But if you want a true adventure cruise. you should look at a line like Lindblad Expeditions or a cruise to the Galapagos. Most large cruise ships (and their itineraries) are not adventure-oriented in the slightest.