ALASKA CRUISE - YOUR OPINION PLEASE?

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALASKA CRUISE - YOUR OPINION PLEASE?

Hello,
I am so torn about summer plans. My husband wants to go to Alaska this summer in July on a cruise.
First question- is is best to see Alaska on a cruise or a nice land tour?
Secondly, is this a trip that gets old, being cold, possibly rainy, and boring somewhat? A real old crowd or not?
Thirdly, would you go to France or Europe instead?
Just cannot decide if I want to do this one - husband is open to any and all also.
Thank you!
Jennifer
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Jen. Please 'nix' with the capitals...it's hard on the eyes. Now, about Alaska, I have been several times. Alaska is a good first cruise, I think, as it is easy. Don't have to fly half way around the world to get on the boat..and I don't think you need a passport, although you may now, if you plan to get off the boat in Victoria. It should not be cold if you go in August, or Sept., and the scenery, the glaciers are melting fast, so better go now. I have been on several cruises, and my taste runs to the smaller ships, but the kids really love HAL and Princess as there are so many activities planned just around them...we hardly saw them, except at dinner. My vote would be to go to Alaska, maybe of one of the 7 day trips out of Seattle. Pretty painless.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM
newmanparker

Who cares about the capitals clara!
WE TOOK AN ALASKA CRUISE ON PRINCESS 3 YEARS AGO NORTHBOUND FROM VANCOUVER TO ANCHORAGE. WE LOVED IT! THE EXCURSIONS WERE FANTASTIC, THEY HAD A NATURALIST ONBOARD. ONE STOP IN KETCHIKAN WAS QUITE RAINY, BUT THE REST OF THE TRIP WAS SUNNY AND AROUND 60. WE EVEN ENJOYED THE HOTTUB ON THE SHIP DURING CRUISING DAYS WITH PRINCESS'S FAMOUS DRINK OF THE DAY.

ONE OF THE BEST VACATION EXPERIENCES WE HAVE HAD. LOVED PRINCESS!

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 11:09 AM

You ask about a cruise OR land tour. If you do 2 one-way flights, you can do both. In other words, cruise north, do the land tour, then fly back from Alaska. If you cruise round trip, eg Seattle to Seattle, you cannot do the land tour.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Take the Princess cruise!!!!! the best time is in July!! Light jacket will do, with reasonable clothes. Tracey Arms, is cold, not a stop off, but a cruise by!! Wonderful!! Have a balony room for this cruise! EnjoY!! We plan to go back!!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Alaska is a great cruise and a very beautiful place! I would suggest doing a 7 day northbound/southbound cruise between Vancouver and Seward/Whittier. You only see the lower 1/3 of Alaska on a round-trip Seattle or Vancouver cruise. You can do a land tour as an addition to a 7 day cruise into Fairbanks, Denali National Park to see Mt. McKinley - either through the cruise line or independent arrangements. Plan to spend 3-4 days in Alaska to see the interior areas well.

The cruise crowd to Alaska is getting younger slowly. There are wonderful cruise ships for all ages, interests and personal styles and more and more young families each year. Holland America has been doing Alaska cruises and cruisetours for more than 50 years -can't beat experience in that area!

Be sure to book as soon as possible for July. It is the best weather in Alaska and the most popular Alaska cruise month.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Jen, I agree with Julia. When we got off our cruise (it was great but Princess would have ben better), we took the train to Anchorage.We rented a car (too expensive to take the train for 4 of us but the train is even better) and drove to Denali for 2 days and took the park bus way back into the park - 13 hour bus trip with lots of stops and many photo stops; amazing scenery and the wildlife!!! Saw a wolf eating a caribou! - among all the rest. Then we drove to Fairbanks and stayed in a wonderful [email protected] (we had our 2 daughters and she (the owner) had a suite for us). We were there on the solstice in June. It was so wonderful. We had only one day in Fairbanks but we could have used one or two more. We drove back and spent a day driving south of Anchorage to see the Eagles and more glaciers and waterfalls and mountains. We never got tired of the scenery. OOO and aah became major words in our vocabulary. And we were always just a little bit scared because the grizzleys could be around the next bend when we were hiking. Alaska is the most Awesome place - like nothing we have ever experienced. This was our second visit and we will be back!! - Eileen
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 02:55 PM

I did some investigating and when they said be sure to take rain gear , I did an about face. My idea of a cruise is getting up in the morning and putting on a swim suit and coverup and going to breakfast. Then a nice day sunning and swimming with a quick lunch break. Then a nap before cocktail hour and a leisurely dinner with congenial people.

See above and repeat 7 X.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 09:46 AM

My two cents worth.

If you are trying to loose weight, go to Europe. All that walking . . .

If you are trying to gain a few pounds, go on a cruise. All that eating . . .
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:51 PM

Last summer, we went to Alaska on cruise with our 2year old AND our 1 year old. It was awsome. We went end of May and it was 60ish. Not to warm or to cold. I was on top of the glacier in Junu. and it was 55 deg. I was amazed. WE of course to WAY WAY to much clothing for the kids. We are doing Europe in a few weeks with the kids. A bit nervous.