cruise or land trip to Society Islands,Tuomotos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH and I will be celebrating our 50th anniversary in 09.We have been thinking of a cruise or land trip to the islands of the South Pacific.Any suggestions for cruises including the Paul Gauguin?Any feedback on that ship in particular?What about a land trip covering 2 or 3 places? cost differential? What are the best times taking into consideration weather and few children.We are very active and healthy,so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Take a look at www.aranui.com and see what you think. It is a very modern freighter which can carry I believe up to 200 passengers. I did the cruise just over a year ago and loved it.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 05:50 AM

Check out weather.com for best time of year to go. You will find that June, July and August is really the best time because it is the Southern Hemisphere's winter so it will be dry and low 80's. In addition Tahiti hosts a major Pacific festival so you can see people from all around the South Pacific.

If you like pampering and gourmet food, you will love Regent Seven Seas Paul Gauguin. It has been rated 6 stars for a number of years. The Tahitian Princess also offers a great 10 day cruise but is limited to spring and fall in '08.

A land stay could be incorporated with your cruise if you want to enjoy more of a particular island but land alone means packing and traveling between islands. I find that no matter how short the flight, it takes a day to pack, go to the airport, fly, go to the hotel and settle in.

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 05:51 AM

PS Congratulations on 50 years of being together! That is a true accoplishment in these days of serial relationships.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 07:27 AM

We have spent a total of 24 nights on the Paul Gauguin. It is really something special. I think it is the best way to see the islands. Essentially, for seeing most of the islands, you are cruising during the night and are ready to explore each morning. Of course, it takes longer to get to the Marquesas, if you choose one of those itineraries. You might want to look at the Regent board on Cruise Critic for information or on LuxuryCruiseTalk. I'll be glad to send you the extensive review I did on our last 10-day PG cruise, which included a 3-night pre-cruise at the Radisson in Tahiti. Just drop me a line at [email protected].
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your help! How is April?Paul Gauguin has an itinerary beginning on April 4 that includes the Marquesas.But, maybe I can find a shorter trip (11 days)that includes the Society Islands and a little of the Marquesas.Anne:;Do you know the name of the Pacific Festival? That sounds like something we really would enjoy.