Reload this Page >

Concerned about sick ships!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 06:12 AM
Melanie

We are booked for our first cruise, which is really a delayed honeymoon for us. We are taking the Princess Sea southern Caribbean itinerary, departing from San Juan on Dec. 14. I’m very concerned about the news reports this week about the two “sick ships” (Holland America and Disney I believe) that originate in Ft. Lauderdale. Any words of wisdom to calm my nerves on this issue???

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 06:26 AM
Lew

There is no way anyone but yourself can calm jangled nerves, especially since the root cause of the virus remains unknown.<BR><BR>My take is the risk is lower than being hurt everytime you drive out of your driveway....but that's only a feel.<BR><BR>Unfortunately, we do not live in a risk free world.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 06:35 AM
Starfish

Disney sails from Port Canaveral.<BR>Hal sails from Ft. Lauderdale.<BR><BR>Princess has had no reports on the virus yet.<BR><BR>NCL and Celebrity both had reports of it in the past month.<BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 06:36 AM
xxx

Melanie, I haven't heard anything about Princess lines. I am also on a S. Carribean cruise out of San Juan on RC. When traveling there is always a risk if it isn't one thing it is another.It is the germs on the plane, it is spoiled food, or it is the difference in the water in Mexico. What can we do? What are the options? Just stay home and no go anywhere. No sense in making yourself sick, worrying about becoming sick. It is wasted energy. No one can make you feel better or worse but yourself. Just be happy you are going, have a good time, it will be fine I am sure.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Cheryl

Enjoy your cruise. Just keep your hands away from your face, eyes, mouth, thats how the germs are spread.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 07:05 PM
xxx

Melanie should have returned by now. I wonder if she got sick. She should let us know.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Paul Therault

Although the news services do not usually report anything positive I have not heard of any Norwalk Type Virus in the past couple of weeks.<BR><BR>Apparently, as with this virus in the past, it disappears as fast as it arrives in areas around the world.<BR><BR>Could it be Santa took it away or even better that Little Guy that was born on Christmas Day.<BR><BR>Paul<BR>

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 05:17 AM
nicethoughts

Paul those are very nice thoughts, you have there. I hope this is true. I will be sailing out of PR in 3 1/2 weeks. I do hope this is true. Happy New Year to you.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Starfish

I found this on 12/27. I did not copy the entire article, but Norwalk was suspected on RCI Majesty of the Seas.<BR><BR>KEY WEST, Fla. -- Officials from Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines removed about 75 passengers from a ship and sent them to Miami by bus from Key West, after those guests fell ill during a four-day sail to the Bahamas, officials said

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 05:02 PM
Bill

Find the CDC website. Don't have full address but is easy to find. They have alot about ships but don't seem alarmed over outbreaks which they say only affected 1or 2 percent of those aboard.Thier concern starts at 3%.Remember there is 2 to 3 thousand people in close proximity to each other and any sickness can spread easily. I wouldn't worry.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 09:59 PM
Paul Therault

Since there are approximately 80,000 passengers sailing out of U.S. ports every weekend I would say your chances are slim you will get sick.<BR><BR>Don't worry unnecessarily.<BR><BR>Enjoy,<BR><BR>Paul