Search

Clothes for Baltic cruise

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2012, 06:32 PM
PMJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clothes for Baltic cruise

Any suggestions on what to wear in Sweden, Finland, and Russia in august? Do adults wear jeans, or is it dressier? I live in Texas. After looking at the forecast, I think I may need to dig out winter sweaters and jackets!
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 07:33 PM

You know it is difficult to say exactly what the weather will be like.

A fellow named Eschew ( I hope he comments) , just got back from a Baltic Cruise in June 2012 and he was unlucky enough to have "bad" weather.

I did my Baltic Cruise in the month August (18th to 31st) and the weather was great in all the Ports.

Reviewing my pictures, I see I was only wearing slacks and a short sleeved shirt (like a golfing shirt) in Sweden , Helsinki and St.Petersburg and Tallinn.

But I would bring a few light sweaters or jacket because you are from the "hot" state of Texas... and used to warmer weather.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 10:59 PM

We were casual everywhere we go. Definietly jeans although some wore dressier slacks. We look underdressed at one restauarnt as the server dress better than we were ...

We check long term foerecast before we left and the forecast was pretty accurate.

Rain, rain and more rain, windy as heck too. Did not bring heavy jacket so dressed in layer with water proof wind breaker. high 60 low 50. August should be much warmer, probably high 70 lower 60.

I wouldn't a bring sweater. You can buy local made wool products reasonably priced at Oslo, Tallinn and other places. I wear my souvenir after we bought them.

DW had a heavier jacket as she brought her "Alaskan cruise" jacket which was double sides and quite warm, She wore it most days.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 10:10 AM

Just got back from same places.
CASUAL is an understatement but most people are tourists and tourists wear jeans etc.
Took 2 pairs jeans and 2 pairs yoga pants, gym type jackets and long sleeve shirts. LAYERS!!! Needed a fleece in Stockholm end of JUne . Easy as you can tie it around your waist and I am always cold. Most important is a poncho and small umbrella!!!!! Used that a lot. Carried a packback so took it on and off and stuck it in. RAINGEAR important in that part of the world!
live in Florida and used to live in Dallas so I know HOT. It is mid 60's and if you wear layers you are all set. My husband wore a sweater at night on the cruise we took, but I think sweaters are less flexible that Nike type jackets and tops. Can always tie around your waist. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 10:22 AM

I agree with the others. Casual is fine and layering is a good idea. Be sure to take a rain proof jacket or outer layer. When we were there it was June of 2007 and we were lucky enough to have good weather for the most part.
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 02:41 PM

I have a polyester waterproof wind breaker that can be folded into a small pouch. That's my travel jacket and have saved my hide many times. I have been bringing long sleeve T-shirts as part of my travelling wardrobe as well.

Sweaters are too heavy and too bulky and take up too much space in the luggage.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 05:48 AM

We just got back from the Baltic and I can confirm what others have said. Everyone, I mean EVERYONE, dressed in casual clothes (mostly jeans). It didn't matter what ship they were on, which country they were from or which country they were visiting NOBODY wore anything close to dressing up.

Now, the biggest problem is the range of temperatures and weather conditions which on our trip (June 3 through July 3) ranged from the low 40's F. to a high of about 70 F. but on average it was in the 50's F. Do bring a rain proof jacket. In a month of travels we had only about 5 or 6 days where we didn't see some rain. Long sleeve shirts, a light sweater and/or sweatshirt so you can dress in layers are helpful.

Eschew's advice about buying a sweater there is useful BUT it depends on your itinerary. What good is buying a sweater in Oslo or Tallinn going to do you if those ports of call come at the end of your trip and it's cold at the beginning of the trip.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 12:59 PM

RoamsAround is 100% correct about your itenary. Oslo was our first stop after Copenhagen so it worked perfectly for us. We even bought some socks!

As I have stated on our trip report, there was only 1 day out of 15 that we did not see any rain; and the temerature (late May early June) ranged from low 40s to mid 60s.
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 02:03 PM

We are going to be in St Petersburg one evening on an excursion to a folklore performance. Suggestions for attire in late June?