Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

What to wear/bring for a mid June Alaska Cruise?

May 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

We are cruising to Alaska mid-June. How do you pack? Thick jacket, long johns, gloves/scarf necessary, or is it fairly mild? Thanks!
May 22nd, 2009, 03:35 PM

I recommend thin layers, so you can add or peel as needed. I like silk long johns under jeans because they're so light weight. A hooded rain jacket long enough to cover your butt is a good idea. I was glad I had a couple of micro fleece tops, an ear band, thin gloves.
May 23rd, 2009, 01:18 AM

We were in Alaska mid-June last year - a week on cruise and about 10 days on land. I found packing challenging.

The temperature ranged from mid 40s to mid 70s, sometimes in the same day. We had about half sunny and half drizzly days. Dress on ship (Princess line) was far more casual at all times of day than warm weather cruises - for day jeans, fleece pants, etc. and layers. My top layer was a lined longer wind breaker and that was perfect - under that a variety of short a long-sleeved tops. Comfortable shoes.

In the dining room in the evening a casual dress for women or non-jean pants and a nice top was fine - and the one "formal" night just a regular dress worked. Many men did not even wear ties in the main dining room, but for formal night a jacket was customary. Bring a sweater or jacket you can wear over dinner wear since walking around ship in the evening can be cool and windy.

I saw only one person using the pool - the pool booth did a better business in loaning out small blankets than towels.
May 23rd, 2009, 11:20 AM

Just remember that when you are on deck looking at glaciers, it is cold.
May 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!
May 23rd, 2009, 07:46 PM

And don't forget your binoculars! Lots of wildlife to view as you're sailing along.
May 26th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Thank you for the information Gail. I will be on the Coral Princess Alaska on 6/8. We were on Coral in April for the Panama Canal and loved the ship. Your information regarding the pool is helpful. I so enjoyed the hot tub and pool for adults on the last cruise that I was hoping to use it once again. I guess I will still pack a suit and see what happens. Thanks again!
May 26th, 2009, 04:34 PM

We've used an outdoor hot tub in below zero weather, so I can't imagine that it would be too cold on your cruise to enjoy it.
May 27th, 2009, 02:09 AM

OP - that is the same ship we were on - one week later in June. If you have cruised in warmer climates as we have another thing that was surprising to us was that the nightlife (other than scheduled shows, music, etc) was largely absent - one night at around 11:30 we were looking to have a drink with our recently-legal-age son and found only one bar open. Shortly after we sat down it was "last call". We are generally early night people and not big drinkers, but it was just interesting to note the difference.

We had a great trip - and at that time of year it never gets totally dark outside, so there is often something to see even at 3 AM.
May 27th, 2009, 09:35 AM

I don't know if you have cruised Alaska b4. However the beauty of it is the excursions. If there is ever a time to pop good $$ for excursions its now. Have fun and you will love the white nights aspect. Cheers, Larry
May 27th, 2009, 03:02 PM

Dress in layers. A water proof wind breaker is a must. I won't worry about anything while on baord. They have blankets. You can buy a fleece vest or jacket for about $20 to $40 depending on season (i.e. end of season ). You may even be able to get away with shorts and T-shirts form time to time. That's why layer is good. Think spring and fall clothing.
Ketchikan is the chepaest shopping stop for clothing. You maybe able to pick up a decent quality lined jacket for $35 to $50 which is not a bad price. I got mine for just $20 last year in August (later in the season) If you don't want to pack, just shop! It will be warm and a souvenir as well.
We are back to Alaska in August again this year and my DW is already looking forward to the bargain hunting.
Jun 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM

nice thread! going next week. regarding what to wear on ship, i am reading here that it could be warmish inside. i understand "layering", but should we also bring a couple of SHORT-sleeve tees?
Jun 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM

Inside is air conditioned. You can buy short sleeve tee for $10 or less as souvneir from either ship or shop at port.
Jun 17th, 2009, 02:46 PM

Alaska weather can change at any time. We were there in May and it was quite warm in the daytime but mornings and evenings were cold, at least for me since I'm from a mild climate. Be sure to bring warm clothing if you will be going to the Hubbard Glacier it can be extremely cold.

Bringing layed clothing is a must.