Booked! Confirmed...then denied?

Aug 26th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Booked! Confirmed...then denied?

I don't know what to do, I need some advice...I found a phenomenal deal for a cruise to Alaska next year with Norwegian. I booked through Unitedcruise.com because I'm fly alot a have a good standing with their frequent flyer program. After booking, I printed out my records (my itinerary notes "purchased") and later recieved a confirmation email with all the correct info and verification. Everything was booked and processed as normal.

Then, a day later, I get an email saying "we're sorry, that rate is not available" and suggest I can book the cruise at a higher fare.

I feel like I got a bait-and-switch, but when I called united cruises, the operator tells me that it was a processing error by the computer and it should'nt have let me book this cruise at that rate. Ok, so it was an error, I understand that now...but not mine. I believe that they should honor the rate I booked at (given that they've sent me confirmation and everything), but I have no idea what to do. They tell me they can't do anything.

Thoughts?

I'm severly dissapointed so far with united cruises.
Aug 26th, 2005, 09:07 AM
P_M

I completely agree this is a bait-&-switch, especially if they won't honor the price that was offered. That's what any reputable business would do. Remember a few years ago when United Airlines screwed up and sold tickets on the web from SFO to Paris for $25? They sold over 100 tickets before anyone at United figured out anything was wrong. United balked at first, but the tickets were honored.

You could call back and try speaking to a manager, but if they still won't honor the original terms of the agreement, I would not give them any further business.
Aug 26th, 2005, 07:32 PM

Was your credit card charged? If so, you have a valid complaint--and a legal leg on which to stand. Look on your itinerary "purchased" note and check with your cc company; if the cc charge has been processed you have a valid complaint that you can discuss with your cc company.
Please let us know what your cc company has to say.
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:56 AM

If you have a printout, email, invoice "in writing" you got right after booking that has that rate/category on it, then fight it. Where I work we honor website glitches, and although NCL is notorious for not giving in or accepting any responsibility, Unitedcruise.com should.
Sep 6th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

After weeks of run around...it's come down to this. Alebit, I'm very dissapointed with Unitedcruises.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you; however our decision must remain that if you wish to continue with this booking that you will need to purchase this at today’s fare. I have included below an insert from the Terms and Conditions that can be found on the website.

Prices and Availability
All fares (including but not limited to taxes, services charges, handling fees, port charges and government fees), itineraries, availability, promotions and special offers were considered correct at the time of input into this system, but are subject to change and/or alteration at anytime prior to booking confirmation by the cruise line or other supplier. In addition, all Suppliers retain certain rights to increase fares (including but not limited to taxes, services charges, handling fees, port charges and government fees), modify itineraries, change availability, and change and/or discontinue promotions and/or special offers, at anytime for any reason. Any increase in price imposed by the cruise line or other supplier for any reason will be passed on to the customer and the customer agrees to any such increase. The Companies retain the right to correct data entry and/or printing errors.

You can also reference the email that was sent to you where it does state that the email you received is a confirmation that we received your booking and that it is pending cruise line acceptance. The below paragraph is pulled from your email confirmation.

• Your cruise reservation has been created and is pending credit card authorization from your credit card provider. We have generated this confirmation in order to confirm receipt of your booking. Please note, however, that your booking is still subject to cancellation unless payment is processed and successfully received by the cruise line. If your credit card is declined for any reason, and your cruise reservation cancelled due to lack of payment, you will be responsible for any rebooking fees as imposed by the cruise line including possible cabin number, dining and category changes. If your sailing is within the next 45 days, please confirm your booking and payment with [email protected] on receipt of this email.

Again, I do apologize for the inconvenience and we do hope that you will continue to allow us to assist you with the booking of your choice.
Sincerely,

Sarah Reiland
Supervisor
United Cruises
Sep 6th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Vitello: If the price was so low that it was an obvious error, then you're pretty much out of luck. Someone mentioned United Airlines honoring wrong pricing, but United Cruises is no United Airlines.

My advise is not to waste anymore of your time and book the lowest price you can get, and if that's with United, so be it. You may have some leverage with United in negotiating a small discount from the lowest price you can get. Don't continue to aggravate yourself it's not worth it. We took an NCL Alaska cruise last month and had a great time. Enjoy.
Sep 6th, 2005, 09:40 AM

What is the difference in price?
Sep 7th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Again, if your credit card was charged then refunded, you probably can continue to fight this. If not as mentioned go with another booking. Consider a rate request with www.cruisecompete.com
Sep 13th, 2005, 08:42 AM

Here's my opinion:

Forget it happened and let it go.

No, this wasn't "Bait & Switch." B&S is a deliberate, fraudulent and illegal tactic to dupe people into buying from a company when they would not otherwise do so. As what happened isn't good for United's business and they're not complete idiots (at least I hope not) I see no possibility that this was done on purpose.

No, this was a simple mistake. Maybe the cruiseline made it, maybe the agent made it, but that's all it is.

What you're entitled to is an apology--which you received. A business that cared about customers would also offer you something extra to make-up for the inconvenience (which it doesn't sound like you got), but there's nothing left to fight about.

If the deal to use your frequent flyer miles is good enough to ignore the fact that these guys are not likely to be useful when problems occur, rebook with them. If not, find a better deal elsewhere. (I'd also recommend CruiseCompete.com as BudgetQueen did.)

But it's best to just let go of stress the stress and move on...

Good luck. I hope you find a fantastic cruise.