Bermuda cruise in May

Search

Bermuda cruise in May

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bermuda cruise in May

Thanks for checking out my question. I welcome your assistance in helping us plan a cruise to Bermuda in May from New York/New Jersey for four adults, one being a senior citizen (my mother age 87).

We do not have a preference on which cruise ship, except that we would not like a "party" type ship or a cruise with lots of kids running around.

This will be our very first cruise so any tips will be helpful.

Appreciate your help!

Happy trails,
Aranda
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 09:13 AM

There are not many choices. The only lines sailing from NY/NJ in May to Bermuda are Norwegian (with a 7 night cruise) and Royal Caribbean (with a 5 night cruise).

Of all of them, the only one with a stop in both Hamilton and King's Wharf is the May 4 sailing of the Norwegian Dawn. The others only stop at King's Wharf which I think is a crummy place to stop.

Go to www.cruise411.com for all schedules or go to www.ncl.com or http://www.royalcaribbean.com for specifics on those two lines.

If there are other options for Bermuda, leaving from NY/NJ in May, I couldn't find them.

Why Bermuda? Why May? If this doesn't work for you, you might consider a roundtrip NY Canada/New England sailing in the fall. That is a very nice trip also.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Swaymock. Great leads. Why Bermuda, why May you ask:

Well, I thought there would be less crowds before "honeymoon" season starts, or isn't that a factor?

And, I am afraid of hurricanes and I thought May was off season for hurricanes, no?

Also, I know of many people who said their cruise experience was ruined due to all the kids running around, and I figured in May school is still in session and kids wouldn't be such a problem.

My mother always wanted to see Bermuda and I want to take her while she can still walk (some) and her mind is still there (going, going).

You seem to know alot, is there another time of the year to cruise to Bermuda that is better in your experience?

Your suggestion of a fall cruise up the New England coast was my back up, interesting you should suggest that.

Many thanks, and do take care,

Aranda
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:47 PM

I think Bermuda in May is a great idea. Of course, I'm a little biased - I get to live here!

I've noticed that the 'cruisers' to Bermuda tend towards the adult crowd - I don't imagine that kids onboard would be much of an issue. The kids here are in school until late June, so they won't be in the way either.

May is absolutely the most GORGEOUS month to be here - it is beach weather, but hasn't turned so hot as to be miserable yet. And you're right - that's a good time to avoid storms.

King's Wharf (or 'Dockyard') is simply the only place here that can accomodate the larger cruise ships. It's well served by the buses and ferries. Hamilton Harbor simply is too small and shallow, so only the smaller ships dock there. But I don't think that's too much of a problem. Dockyard would make a great 'home base' for exploring, as you can hop onto a ferry to Hamilton or St. George's for the day - it's not that big of an island.

I think if the schedule and cost issues work for you, it would be a good choice. Especially if it's something that would make your mom's day!
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 09:04 AM

I think a cruise is perfect for an older, likely less mobile person. A lot to do in a relatively small space. We cruised Boston-Bermuda on NCL - several suggestions.

Select a cabin mid-ship. Waters to/from Bermuda can be a little rough at times, although we had no problems. A cabin near the elevator banks, although perhaps a little noisier, will limit the amount of walking each time she wants to go somewhere.

Medicare does not cover health expenses outside US, nor do most supplements. She will need to buy travel insurance that includes medical.

Bermuda is amazingly easy to get around in. Bus service is clean, efficient and routes easy to understand. However, sidewalks are often older brick and a little uneven - she needs to be careful when walking around.

The cruise we took was in the summer and it was reported by cruiseline that there were a record number of kids on board - except for the days at sea around the pool, they were mostly occupied in kids activities. They were not rowdy or a pain.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:54 AM

May 4th Dawn will anchor for a day in Grassy bay and tender into Hamilton - it's because a larger ship will be berthing at Kings Wharf that day.

When the latter leaves Dawn goes in to berth for the next 2 days.

Bermuda and May are fabalous!!

Don't listen to swaymock!
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:56 AM

one more thing, I think NCL Dawn might be better - 2 extra days in Bermuda. She leaves from Manhattan.

Old Mar 8th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the insights txgirl; I love Bermuda - I sailed there on the old Pacific Princess (The Love Boat) and it was small enough that we oculd dock at St. George, Hamtilton, and the Wharf. Because I didn't need to do so, I didn't realize it was easy to hop a ferry back to the other towns.

Aranda - you can take a horse drawn buggy ride through Hamilton. I highly recommend that. We loved walking around St. George and Hamilton. It really is a great place to visit - I was only put off by the fact that the ship only docks at the Wharf. Seems txgirl has solved that problem for you.

I agree the seas are a bit rough off the coast of NYC and yes, hurricane season doesn't officially begin until June. I hope you and your mom get to take this cruise - but if your plans fall through, the Canada/New England cruise is nice too.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 03:57 AM

I cast my vote for "going for it!" As others have said, Bermuda is lovely, May is lovely and there probably will be less children than later in the season. At 87 you never know if you will have another great opportunity or not to do this with your mother. Go for the 7 days, have a blast.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 12:35 PM

I have been to Bermuda many times and I have to admit, May is my favorite time of year. As to the possibility of rough seas, that can happen anytime. As a matter of fact, our roughest seas were in June.
Kids were never an issue. I highly recommend looking into purchasing an all-day (2 day, 3 day) transportation pass, which includes both busses and ferries. The first time I went to King's Wharf, I was disappointed. But I've been back a few times and have grown to like it very much. The ferry ride into Hamiliton is great, not long at all. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 11:30 AM

We very much enjoyed our cruise from NYC to Bermuda in October 2000 on Royal's Nordic Princess (probably no longer in the fleet). We don't sail with them any longer because all their ships are too big for our tastes. We were docked at the Wharf for a few days and then in Hamilton.

We ferried to both St. Georges and Hamilton during our stay, used the buses and got around the island with no trouble at all.

We are lighthouse enthusiasts so visited Gibb's Hill Lighthouse. Had tea there before climbing to the top of the lighthouse for beautiful views. You might enjoy tea without the climb.

Bermuda is an absolutely beautiful place with wonderful residents. I'm sure some things have changed since we were there, but were found lots to do.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 05:47 AM

We cruise from Boston to Bermuda and we prefer BEFORE the kids are out of school.. in May or June before mid-June.. and September usually the second week.. WHY!! I'm tired of all the brats running over the ship unsupervised by their parents..hogging the jacuzzis and elevators. Sadly, the ships are getting bigger and bigger and will no longer be able to dock in beutiful St. George.. The new high speed a/c ferries are great...Oh yes...we are "q-tips too"