Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

HELP! Carnival "Pride" or Celebrity "Zenith" to Bermuda?

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
This will be our first cruise because it took me 20 years to convince my husband to try it.I thought a Bermuda 7-day cruise would be a good way to ease into it. My husband is afraid of getting seasick, and I'm concerned about being in a cramped room with someone who snores louder than King Kong. We have both traveled extensively and like a little bit of luxury. Do you think either of these ships would be good for first timers?
Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 07:04 AM

Frankly, I would avoid the Carnival and go for the Zenith...but check out which and how many docks they are going to..Are they just going to Hamilton and the Dockyard or are they includiingSt. George..Also, is the earliest you can go..We prefer to go when the kids are back in school, i.e. aftrr the first week in September. if you need more info on Bermuda please write
[email protected]
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 07:46 AM

I, too, would select the Zenith if you're looking for a touch of luxury. Carnival ships tend to offer more glitz and glamour. They promote themselves as "Fun Ships." Celebrity ships tend to be a bit more upscale. I tend to think that the party crowd focuses on the Caribbean so a Bermuda trip on either ship should be less boisterous.

One thing about the cabins on the Zenith -- they're smaller than those on the Pride -- 172 sq ft compared to 185 sq ft on the Pride. You'll have a greater variety of cabins from which to select on the Pride...several categories offer balconies. So you defintiely don't have to put up with a "cramped room."

One thing to think about when cruising in September...that's the middle of hurricane season. While cruise ships do everything they can to avoid them, I have heard about ships avoiding Bermuda all together because of storms. We've been to Bermuda multiple times in the Spring...absolutely gorgeous.

Given any thought to cruising thru New England and Canada? Gorgeous country, especially in the fall and you don't face as much of the open ocean as you do to Bermuda.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.
I am a teacher, so I have to travel with the "children." I would love to go in September, but I'll have to wait until I retire.
A couple of questions. Is one dock better than the other. I believe the Celebrity cruise docks in St.George and Hamilton. The Pride stays in one place. The Pride is more expensive, but we would get a balcony.I hear the food is better on Celebrity.
Thanks again for any info. The wealth of information is mind-boggling. It's hard to make a decision.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 10:27 AM

You definetely want to dock even for one day in St. George..even Frommers says that if you only have one day in Bermuda it should be in St. George.. it is charming, romantic, cobblestoned streets... a beach right up the street. Hamilton is the city and great for shopping and eating..and you can get a ferry to the Dockyard. We have been going the second week in September and the end of May.. There is no reason you can't go the last week in August or earlier.... Yesk the cruises up the coast to Canada are very popular.. but with the weather we are having in N.E. there is no way that foliage color could be predicted. I get terribly seasick and don't step aboard a ship with out ginger tablets or now Sturgeron that I buy in Bermuda..something not available in the US but used by yachtsmen in Bermuda.. BTW I have never heard of a ship avoiding Bermuda...there have been times and I was on one cruise that the ship had to leave a day early.. If there is a serious storm coming..the Captain has a choice...either head to Canada or to the islands...it's happened, but not that frequently...I've been to Bermua 9 times and am ready for my 10th in September..I'm a BOP, Bermuda Obsessed Person..lol
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:49 PM

Hi.We were on the Zenith May 17 \th and thorougly enjoyed it. (no kids and so it was quiet the way we like it 2 professinals with 3 teenagers. Have saied with Carnival, great for the kids, Windstar upscale, casual and romantic (sailboat, i05 people and nothing to do) We loved Bermuda Zenith did 2 days in each port. It was fine. Get a 3 day bus pass. Good to explre the island with and ride the ferries. The food and service on Zenith was of a higher qualith than carnival. but you can't go wrong. No balconies on Zenith
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the info. I've decided on the Celebrity "Zenith" because of your help. We're leaving on July 26. Is seasickness a problem when you're docked? Is there anything we can get in the U.S. before we leave?
Also, Parrot Mom, what do you do in Bermuda?
Thanks!
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 08:23 AM

Much better choice...the Celebrity.. If you write to me [email protected] I'llgive you lots more info..In St. George it's a charming little town and we love to wonder up and down the little alley ways among other things.There is Tobaccoy Cay up the end of the hill, and if you go to the bus/tourist station there is a bus for $1.00 that will take you to St. Catherines. You can take the bus and go to the Perfume and Glass factory and if you get the right bus...the Crystal Caves. Oh yes, right in that area is the Swizzle Inn..not to be missed for a Dark and Stormy, chicken wings, onion rings...and general fun. On Tuesday night, if your there..there is a festival in the center of St. George. On Wednesday night..there is a huge festival downtown Hamilton.. .In Hamilton you can take the buses to the beaches...and the ferry to the Dockyard making sure you don't get the "milk run"..lol Please write...for more info..
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 10:19 AM

You will love the Zenith. We cruise her a couple years back on our first attempt to go to Bermuda. Yes, attempt. Cruise ships DO avoid Bermuda at times, but it all depends on the timing of the storm. Unfortunately I can personally attest to that, but we still had a great cruise and loved the Zenith. We use ginger pills when it gets rough and a lot of people use the patch or the wristbands. Check out the cruisecritic.com website for lots of insight on the Zenith and Bermuda.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:14 PM

Besides the Ginger Tablets that I take as I enter the ship...there is a medication in the pharmacies in Bermuda calledSturgeron..which the yachtsmen use...it works.no side effects.. Be careful of the patch because of the problems..the M.D.s at the hospital I worked would not give it to me.. have a great time..
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 04:50 PM

I have used those little cloth anti-nausea/motionsickness bands that are similar to acupressure. In fact, the first time was on my celebrity cruise to bermuda. Whether there is real scientific evidence that they work, i cannot say, but those in my family that have used have never had a problem. They cost about $10 but buy them at home as they are very expensive on the ship.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Bootman4U

I have to agree with going on Celebrity..my biggest concern with Carnival, other than the fact that I think they are a bit more pushy to make on-board drink, etc., sales, and the constant announcements about activities, etc., is my very GREAT concern about their safety practices. I've been on 15+ cruises and I have NEVER had a poorer safety briefing than the one from Carnival out of Miami a couple of years ago. I was so concerned that I wrote the Coast Guard a letter about it. Their reply was that the line was in compliance by having a briefing but the contents of those briefings are not regulated.
I think their glitz and glamour are fine and don't think that is necessarily a sign of quality or lack thereof...but I have found Celebrity cruises to be a bit more refined, the staff less intrusive, and the passengers a little less apt to be excited about the "Wear Your Wife's Lingerie" contest that occurred on Carnival.
Just my pickiness and just my opinion...but there it is.