Trip to Bermuda from NY: Fly or Cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are considering a trip to Bermuda sometime in late June, early July. We are in our early 30's and I am pregnant with our first child. We have never been on a cruise before and are considering cruising to Bermuda. We don't want to be go for 7 nights, so we were thinking about the 5 night cruises. Does anyone have any recommendations on a specific cruise line? We are looking for entertainment/fun things to do on the ship, but also want it to be relaxing. And since we are only thinking a 5 day trip - should we just fly? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM

BERMUDA IS VERY EXPENSIVE!!!! By using a cruise ship as a hotel and restaurant you will have a chance to check out all 19 miles wide of the island, go swimming, take a horse and buggy ride or trolley ride and explore our favorite place.. All the the cruise ships stay in Bermuda several days which is better than .. If this is Tuesday we must be in ....lol Celebrity has the Summit going from NYC.. NCl has the Dawn and I'm not sure about the other lines..
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:47 PM

ParrotMom is right, a cruise is definitely more cost-efficient.
Celebrity's Summit, NCL's Dawn and HAL's Veendam have only 7-day cruises from NYC's port.
Royal Carib's Explorer of the Seas appears to be the only
one which sails out of Bayonne, NJ for a 5-day'er. This line
is also known for Rock climbing walls, etc. which may or may not appeal to you.
Old May 9th, 2010, 01:16 AM

We priced cruise versus fly/hotel for family of 4 about 5 years ago. It was much less expensive to do the cruise.

But the experiences are different. If you fly, you get more time on Bermuda. I love Bermuda, but there is really only a couple of days worth of things to do there - plus beach time. So with the amount of time a cruise gives you, you won't "miss" anything. But if you want 5 days riding the excellent public transit system in Bermuda, poking around little shops, sitting on the beach - then a fly/hotel trip is better.

I find cruises the ultimate in relaxation. One is really not herded around like sheep. Certainly there are times and places more crowded than others - the pool deck on a sunny day at sea being one of them. But I have never had trouble finding a quiet place in the sun or shade on a ship - perhaps not poolside, but perfectly nice. If you can afford it, get a balcony. There is nothing in the world like drinking AM coffee, reading, or just sea-staring from your own balcony. But if you get one, you will never want to cruise without one again.

Congrats on the first pregnancy - although I traveled thru both of my pregnancies (the results of which are now adults) for some reason I found flying difficult. Even when I was not pregnancy large, I felt claustrophobic, my feet swelled.
Old May 10th, 2010, 03:28 PM

I agree on the cruising. You have your hotel, meals, and entertainment all in one. They also have excursions which you can book with the cruise or do your own sightseeing. Bermuda has a great transportation system with ferries and buses that goes all over the island and you can get a few day pass for both. If you do the cruise, definetly take the galley tour. Going behind the scenes and getting free samples is the best.
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:05 AM

How far in your pregnancy will you be? There are restrictions for both cruisers and fliers.

And being pregnant, I would choose in a heartbeat knowing that any time I feel so I can lie down, get a snack to satisfy my craving (don't know about you, I had cravings even into breastfeeding!) to be as relaxed or active as I wish, and knowing there is a doctor on board.

Compare this to being in an uncomfortable plane seat...
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback, very helpful. I will be right around 22 weeks in my pregnancy. So I think we will definitely cruise, sounds right up our alley with our situation and needs. We don't mind driving to New Jersey, so it looks like it would have to be Royal Caribbean - any advice on what room type, etc.? Since this will be our first time on a cruise...do people typically come back to the ship for meals while it's docked at the island? All meals are included right? Thanks Again!!
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:07 AM

All meals are included in a cruise, so most cruisers return to the ship to eat if they can. If they are going on a longer, arranged excursion, lunch could be included. I think your appetite for eating off the ship will be limited once you see the prices in Bermuda.

But I just want to be clear: I would never recommend a 5-day cruise from NYC to Bermuda. You'll barely have any time on the island and will spend almost the entire trip in transit. If you really really want to do a 5-day cruise, then sail from Baltimore. I believe you can do a 6-day cruise from Charleston, and that would also be ok.

Of the ships that go there now, I'd actually recommend Celebrity Summit, which also sails from NJ (not as another poster said, from NYC). But it's a week-long cruise (6 nights).
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:18 AM

Doug, I'm with you... the longer the better in Bermuda and you certainly can't discount the Celebrity Summit from Bayonne, New Jersey... Haven''t been on this ship, but I am a big fan of Celebrity.. Daisy4724 after having a full breakfast you can take some fruit or danish with you. We discovered some time ago a little local restaurant hidden away in an office building.. and of course there is always and I mean always the Swizzle Inn in St. George (haven't been to the new one) for the fish chowder, onion rings, chicken wings, fish sandwiches and since your pregnant...you are going to miss their famous rum punch...awww As for cabin... if you can afford it.. a cabin with a balcony for breakfast out there or a romantic dinner for two...it maybe your last peaceful meals.
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:20 PM

Balcony - since you are pregnant and likely not to be drinking or not drinking much, think of all the money you will save on expensive drinks and put that towards the balcony (I can be so rational spending other people's money).

Bermuda is a rather long island - if you want to see much you will likely have lunch off the ship - figure on spending about as much as you would for lunch in a real restaurant in a real city.

When we cruised NCL they gave us some sort of coupon for a meal on the island. It was not worth it, since one had to pick off a very limited menuto use the coupon.

Add 2 days and do the 7 night cruise - you will wish for those days of relaxation back after the baby hatches if you don't.
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, very helpful!