Alaska Lines/deck space

Aug 27th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Alaska Lines/deck space

Hi! Planning a May inside passage cruise. Have narrowed it down to Princess and HAL, leaning toward Princess for the alternative dining and cruise/tour packages. But, I need the scoop on deck space and layout. I'm an enthusiaistic (read:not very good but learning) amatuer photographer and am interested in the best and most open deck layout. Plus I just like being out in the brisk open air....Do many people hang out on deck during while underway? I'd like to be able to move around with ease and space.All your advice appreciated!
Aug 28th, 2003, 06:07 PM

I sailed on the Coral Princess to Alaska this year and loved the ship. Would definitely recommend Princess. Though I hear that deck space is better on HAL (no personal information to confirm it).

I think you can't go wrong with either line - both are known for their Alaskan experience (both ship and land). These will be the only 2 lines I use when sailing to Alaska in the future.

People do hang out on decks during the cruise - especially on Glacier Bay and College Fiords deck. Though I never felt like I was fighting for space by any means. I moved around quite a bit.

I would re-ask your question on www.cruisecritic.com and under ports of call - select Alaska. You will receive a lot of input there.
Aug 28th, 2003, 06:08 PM

Here are some pictures of my May 30 cruise (since you are also looking at May):

http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/PhotoAlbum16.html

From here - you can click on some of the other albums.
Aug 28th, 2003, 07:30 PM
cindiloowho

just finished HAL cruise to Alaska. Only complaint was that there were at least three, sometime 5 other huge cruise boats in port, thus a crowd everywhere--so much for the great alaskan wilderness. Just 'take a number' for everything.

Aug 30th, 2003, 04:21 AM

HAL has superior deck space having sailed both Princess and HAL to Alaska. But the Coral Princess has wind screens (that I saw in a photo??) that I would never consider. I have sailed the Sun 2 trips with the 3rd Monday. Excellent front viewing that is NEVER crowded except on glacier viewing days. I have cruised Alaska 9 times and very very few passengers are out on deck during the "regular" sailing, I am an avid marine wildlife watcher and at the most there is maybe 20 die hard watchers. You need to dress warm, knit hat and gloves, good rain gear. As for photography- you generally aren't close enough to much during sailing- glacier viewing is a great opportunity. If you are considering a land cruise tour- strongly consider having your arrival interior after June 1, Denali Park ( a land wildlife bonanza) shuttles don't go far enough into the park until then. I never consider less than Eielson myself.
Aug 30th, 2003, 01:33 PM

Having sailed Alaska 7 times including both HAL and Princess - I personally would recommend Princess. I have also sailed the Coral Princess and thought the desk space was excellent. We had no problems what so ever. We also loved that Princesss has Personal Choice dining - you can eat dinner whenever. So you can stay later in port and then eat when you are ready. I think Princess does a better job in Alaska then HAL but that is my personal opinion. HAL would be my second choice.