Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Transportation from Civitavecchia pier to Rome hotel

Aug 29th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

What is the best transportation option from port in Civitavecchia to hotel in rome. I presume eurorail but how do i get from pier to eurorail station?thanks
Aug 29th, 2003, 04:00 PM

I use a private car service , as after getting off a relaxing cruise , the last thing I want is a cramped train....

here is the person I use:

[email protected]
Email to the attention of Andrea and he will return email within 24 hrs...

the website is www.limoservicerome.com

This car service picks you up in a AC Mercedes Car or Van with an English speaking driver....fool-proof and painless.....and VERY reliable....

In Civittavecchia, there are NO cabs at the pier..in fact, the pier is nothing more than a place to tie up the ship...NOTHING like the cruise ports in Ft Lauderdale or Miami...and NO bathrooms or places to sit...Just a pier...and you will have to lug your luggage all the way to the train station.....
Aug 29th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the in depth reply Andy. I will certainly check this out.
It is so great to find fellow travellers so helpful in uncharted waters.
Aug 29th, 2003, 07:27 PM

quinapts--

This was our 2nd Med cruise- the other went out of Lisbon...and I was NOT expecting Civitavecchia to be so desolate...

When the limoservice picks you up, you need to give them an approximate time for disembarkation.....As there is also NO PHONE at that pier..It is literally just a pier and a ship period...

I know others will tell you to lug your luggage a long way uphill to the train station, but that is something I will not do after having a terrific cruise..

This car service also picked us up when we landed in the Rome airport and took us to the hotel pre-cruise...And they are so reliable, that they WAITED in the ROME airport for 2 hrs for us as our flight was delayed due to a strike at the Rome airport..Super nice people.....
Aug 30th, 2003, 04:14 AM

There is also a train that goes to Rome but Italian transportation workers go on strike constantly - I also would hire a private car.
Aug 30th, 2003, 06:01 AM

I'm usually not a fan of ship's transfers, but in this case I would check out how much it is. I might be considerably cheaper than hiring a driver.

Also, to set the record straight, the rail service in Italy is not "constantly" on strike. Europeans use the public transportation much more than Americans and wouldn't stand for strikes all the time. Yes, they have isolated strikes that are spotty and usually last for hours, not days.

Peter
Aug 30th, 2003, 06:42 AM

quinapts- When we checked the cost of the ships transfers for 2 people , it equaled the COST of the private car service.....

THAT is why we picked the private car service...Much more laid back in your own car with own luggage, than stuck on a bus with 35 other people...

When it came down to price for the 2 of us and it turned out to be the same, it was a no-brainer as to which way to go....

Enjoy!!
Aug 30th, 2003, 01:31 PM

I lived in Rome for a year and strikes ARE very common amongst public transportation in Italy. They are sporadic, come out of the blue and can last a day or several days. It seemed that they always seemed to happen when I had visitors.

I agree, Rome (and Italy) has great public transportation but periodically, there would be no public transportation and it would bring the city to a halt. I would not plan on taking the train for that long of a distance having experienced the strikes in Rome when I lived there (3 years ago).
Aug 31st, 2003, 06:02 AM

We had planned on taking the train into Rome but decided to see about a taxi. We negotiated with the driver for the trip from the pier to our hotel in the center of Rome. He charged 100E including the luggage. When we arrived at the hotel the meter read 121E but he only asked for the agreed fare. Of course we tipped him too. It was well worth it!