Search

Apppraisal of HollandAmerican Line

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:29 PM
ed
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apppraisal of HollandAmerican Line

We have just received a brochure for some Alaska Cruises on HAL.

They look attractive - both price and itinerary.

Our preceding cruises were on Orient Line and Princess.

How does HAL compare in regard to amenities, food, service and any extras?

Many thanks

:-B
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:17 PM

We have been on four HA cruises, including Alaska cruise/land tour. Since we haven't been on another line, I cannot compare them, but HA has been more than marvelous for us. I assume it is comparable to Princess, both lines are major carriers for Alaska and have their own hotels, buses and train cars. I have previously posted here that we were glad we took the cruise and land tour...the weather was pretty well socked in with fog, rain and overcast conditions and so when we went inland, we had great weather, saw some animals and saw alot more of Alaska than we might see with the cruise only. We are so well satisfied with HA, I don't know when we might try another line.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 12:11 AM

HAL is supurb for Alaska. Excellent and superior deck viewing, Seward port on one ways and "smaller" ships. Service is top notch. BUT in Alaska you need to look more outside the ship- ports, time in ports, route, glacier, price. If going one way- I am no fan of cruisetours- you can see twice as much for half the price going on your own. They are point to point on a fixed schedule- missing all the great "small" touring options in between- that is much more "real Alaska". Research fully and plan what is right for you.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 06:32 AM

I think you will be very pleased with HAL. It is a 1/2 step above Princess IMO. I'm not as familiar with Orient Lines only have sailed it once on the Marco Polo which doesn't have balcony cabins. I would definitely get a B mini-suite on HAL.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 07:06 AM
ed
Original Poster

Thank you:-B
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:28 PM

I got to throw this in. Hal does not charge for ice cream like Princess. (I know princess does not charge in the dining room) They have an ice cream bar available during lunch and in the AFTERNOON. They have cones, and make your own sundaes, no charge.

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:57 PM

We have sailed with 7 different major cruiselines and I feel HAL was the best. They do special little things the others don't. We sailed with them in Alaska on the Veendam, one of their older ships and everything was great!
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 06:22 AM

I've sailed 4 different lines TO Alaska and HAL would be my top choice. But I guess having free ice cream wouldn't enter in any of my cruise choices.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 02:02 PM

After 80 days on HAL-It is our favorite.

HAL has more trips to Glacier Bay, and a very good time in ports. I now wish we had taken a B to B instead of a 7 day. Then, we stayed onboard for 21 more days to Ft. Laud. excellent.

There is no other line (IMO) to spend that many days without the little things bugging you.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 05:52 AM
JP

I haven't been to Alaska on either line, but I was on both lines elsewhere in 2003. The Golden Princess had better food in the dining room than the Volendam, and had a far greater variety of food in the buffet area.

I assume Starfish hasn't been on Princess, or would have known that they DO have free ice cream in the afternoon. It's just the Hagen Daaz that they charge for.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 05:20 PM

ed- we are doing HAL Oosterdam in July this year- I hear that they and Princess were the first cruise lines doing Alaska and therefore really know the ropes..Also they get definite confirmation to get into Glacier Bay...

Wanna join us??
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:21 AM

As far as I know the Oosterdam, does NOT go to Glacier Bay, but to Hubbard instead. Glacier Bay takes too long from some Seattle routings.