Search

AIR FARES

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIR FARES

We booked our overseas flights a few weeks ago, using Delta. Yesterday the fare went down by $75 a ticket. I called for a credit and was told that it would cost $200 to re-issue the ticket. I doubt if anyone books a refundabe ticket. This should be a message not to book until about 3 weeks before the flight when in the off season.
neviboy
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 10:01 AM

Yes, most carriers will charge a fee for re-issuing a ticket at the lower fare, so unless the fare decrease is substantial I wouldn't even bother with it. I book when I find a fare that I'm happy with, then I stop looking.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 05:43 PM

Waiting until 3 weeks before departure to book airline tickets is way risky. There are few, if any, leftover seat sales these days. You may not even be able to fly on your dates, requiring "forced overnights".

I'm with Patty. You do the best you can, then stop looking. Even if you learn anything, it's a whole new endeavor next time.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 04:45 AM

With most international tickets, the "rollover" principle does not apply.With a domestic ticket, if your fare goes down after you purchase the ticket,most carriers will either issue you travel vouchers or issue an actual monetary credit for the difference in fare without charging a fee.It does not happen with international tickets because it is strictly a U.S. phenom.Thats not to say it has never or will never happen internationally.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 09:22 AM

I'm with Patty and djkbooks--find a fare you're happy with, buy it--then stop looking. You're only going to make yourself frustrated if it goes down, and unless it goes down substantially, rebooking is not worth the hassle.