last minute changes

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:41 AM
soon to be grandma

last minute changes

I'm trying to decide when to purchase an airline ticket (SC to WI) with end of March being the baby's due date. My questions are: Should I purchase the ticket now, at what seems to be a good price, then make a change later since timing could be unpredictable? Even if I add in the $100. change penalty fee, will I be still be saving money if buying now? Is the $100. change fee the only additional cost when rescheduling to another flight? Are there hidden fees that I'm unaware of? Or, should I buy a last minute ticket at full price? Thanks for any advice.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:00 AM
asdf

Just remember that the change fee is in addition to whatever the difference is in between the new fare and what you paid.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:19 AM
soon to be grandma

If I'm understanding correctly, the new fare is the one I would be quoted to fly on that day, no seven-day or other saver cost break? If that is so, buy purchasing now, I would also have the $100. additional charge on top of a full fare, last minute ticket?
Guess I'd better wait and just pay full fare then.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Andrew

If you buy a ticket now, it will have a certain "fare basis". Airlines have a certain number of each fare basis on each flight. If you change your ticket at the last minute, you will have to pay (on some airlines) a $100 change fee plus the price of the next highest fare basis. If your same fare basis is still available on that plane, you will not have to pay any difference in price.

If this is still not clear, call the airline and present your same scenario to the agent on the phone. They can explain it perhaps better than I can.

Personally, unless you are getting a remarkable fare now, I would wait until closer to departure to purchase your tickets. You can often get at least a good 21-day advance fare, often a good 7-day advance fare. There's always Priceline and Hotwire if you must travel last minute.

Andrew

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:58 PM
soon to be grandma

Thanks asdf and Andrew for answering my questions. I think I'll wait until closer to the time, as Andrew suggested.