Advice Needed--Cruise for Parents

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not an experienced cruiser, but am thinking of sending my parents on a cruise as a gift. They have been on many cruises, and like the Caribbean cruises, so was thinking of one of those. They are in their late 60's/early 70's, they enjoy the cruise life, and have commented that they likely will not even get off the ship in port on their next cruise (they did this as well on their last cruise--they've been to all the islands, so not much left for them to see, they just like cruising).
Any advice as to line/ship that they might enjoy would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:49 AM

That's an incredibly thoughtful gift. My personal feeling is that selecting a cruise is a terribly personal choice. Could I suggest that you do your homework and find 2-4 cruises in your price range and let them make the final selection? Good cruises aren't inexpensive, as you know, and I'd hate to think that my kids had spent a lot of money on one line/itinerary that maybe I'd have much preferred something less expensive but more to my taste.

But to answer your question, I've only cruised with Princess and until I find someplace that I need to go that they don't visit, I will continue to cruise with them. In the last 18 months I've visited Bermuda (out of NYC), the Western Caribbean (out of FLL), Southern Caribbean (out of San Juan) and am leaving next month on a 10 day Panama Canal (out of FLL). I haven't found a ship I don't like yet, each has something unique. Seriously, there are so many choices, why not let them decide for themselves at least from among a few that you have preselected?
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 12:51 PM
JonJon

I can very much RELATE to your situation. SEVERAL years ago my parents finally agreed that they would go on a cruise after I had told them, repeatedly, what a great way to travel cruising can be. They said they wanted to go on a "ship with lots of activities" and I decided that a Carnival cruise might be just the thing.
THEY had a good time so it was worth it...I wasn't as happy with what I though was, to start off, a very inadequate "safety briefing" (as compared to the rigorous ones I had previously experienced on Norwegian-officered vessels) a constant, and I do mean CONSTANT stream of PA system announcements about "opportunities" to spend more money ON THE SHIP, a somehat (which I am certain has improved) DISorganized system of booking shore excursions, a ship's staff that made a life's work out of "pushing" drinks, bingo, etc.,
The ship was great but I felt the Carnival way of doing business was pushy and obtrusive at best. The safety briefing was the worst part and a few months later the same ship collided with a Cuban fishing vessel.
My advice: research, as much as you can, the overall ambience of the various cruise line products that you consider within your price range and try to come to some objective decision (not easy, I know). You might also try to find out what itinerary would interest your loved ones the most.
I would avoid, at all costs, the "Spring Break" season unless they don't mind possibly being captive with a bunch of semi-out-of-control passengers..and I am NOT talking about the kids, either! Good luck.

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 04:33 PM

This is such a wonderful gift!! They are very lucky people!
I would recommend the Diamond (RSSC). It's small enough to easily maneuver without finding yourself lost at every turn, yet has all the amenities they'd want for on a larger ship with more passengers. It's also nice because it is so close to all inclusive that they won't be signing checks all the time and end up with a huge shipboard bill at the end of the week. Jump on some of their 2 for 1 pricing deals!
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 04:40 PM

As they've gone on many cruises, maybe they have a prefernce about what line(s) they've liked/not liked.