last minute luxe and kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen last minute cruises at pretty favorable rates. I haven't done it, I just haven't wrapped my head around it. I have a couple probably dumb questions if any Fodorite experts would kindly respond.
1. Do any of the higher end ships i.e Radisson, Seabourn or another have children's clubs? The reason is that we would prefer a more all inclusive experience, it just seems easier.

2. Going from airport to ship. Is it better to just get a car service? With luggage and whatnot are those ship transports just too much chaos?

3. Would it be better to stay a night in a hotel before and after?

Thanks for any responses. I am just wondering if I should opt for something like Royal Caribbean or Seabourn.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 02:47 PM

I know that Radisson has certain sailings that have the "kids club" (or whatever they may call it). For the most part though, I've only seen a handful of kids on the Radisson sailings I've been on. Their phone # is: 1-866-217-1371 (toll free). You might want to call and inquire.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:11 AM

Cabs are easy from most all ports, vans are available if needed, though the cars are more plentiful. It is always better to stay the night before the cruise at the port city. No stress the day of sailing. Priceline may be an economical option??
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:50 AM
JonJon

I think it is always better, if you are willing and able to pay for it, to have your own "private" transport from any airport to ANY destination..be it a taxi, a privately-hired car, or whatever.
I don;t think you necessarily need a "car service" if taxis are plentiful although if you have a lot of luggage or you want a definite agreed-to price beforehand and the feeling of "personalized" service then a car service makes sense.

I am not sure I agree completely that it is "always better" to arrive at the port the day before and that doing so means you'll have "less stress"...depends on how you travel to the port and what time you arrive. Getting there years ahead isn't necessarily going to lessen the "stress" of a long ship embarkation process. If you are a worry-wort like me I agree it is nice to get there a day ahead but it also costs some extra money..only you can decide if it is worth it for the added peace of mind.

I think ifyou want THE answer, rather than "an" answer about the offerings, children-wise, from the various cryuise lines, you'd do better asking an actual travel agent thqan relying on a lot of opinions from well-meaning, but possibly not up-to-date informed folks.
Good luck.

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Since I am kind of mulling it over I hate to lead an agent on, so to speak. I have always just been sort of curious about the hassle factors of cruising, having never done it before. This would be an "extra" vacation, if we took it, not the biggie where I can spend more to assure everything. It would likely be an inside cabin and again, last minute. I know that I wouldn't be able to be that picky about where the room was etc. At the same time if we do it I would want it to be as hassle free as possible. Is this reasonable? I figured I wouldn't miss a balcony or outside stateroom never having had one. The higher end ships do not seem to have kids clubs and ironically the reason for selecting a high end cruise would be to make things easier having kids along. I do understand the point of view of not wanting other peoples' kids on your vacation though, I just thought a kids club wouldn't be too intrusive. Thanks again for any thoughts.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 07:10 AM

You may want to pick up some brochures or check out websites on various itineraries and ships.

For example, all the cabins on Radisson and Seabourn ships are outside cabins. They don't have any inside cabins. We always get the least expensive cabin and are always pleased. All the cabins on the Voyager have a balcony.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 08:16 AM

If you are flying into port I still say it is highly recommended getting there a day early. Flight delays and cancelations are not rare and with a same day arrival- you could miss your ship- plenty of people do. Especially if you are flying on non interline airlines- Jet Blue, Southwest and the like- they have fewer options for getting you to your destination.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Living in the cold northeast where it could snow anytime up thru the end of May, I'm opting for a flight to FLL the day before my cruise next month. I'd sure hate to miss my cruise because I didn't want to pay for a nite in a Florida hotel. If it were summer and I could get a flight early in the day, I'd consider not arriving a day early, but at this time of year, I wouldn't risk the weather.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses, I think that if we do it we'll probably go on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean, it looks as though the higher end ships do not cater to children. I didn't think that a last minute trip necessitated research but I guess it does! Regarding the airport to ship transport I just hate crowds so I think a taxi/car service would be better. Good point about weather delays!